Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Mont Neron, St Helier
Type of property
19th century brick building
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- McCarthy - family owned the property in the 20th and 21st centuries
Historic Environment Record entry
An unusual romantic 'chateau' in the Gothic style, built in two stages in the early and mid 19th century, retaining original features and character in a substantial landscape setting.
Built circa 1805 by Captain Charles Stirling RN, then in command of the signalling station on Mount Bingham. The northern part of the house was added in 1858 by his nephew Edward Hamilton Stirling, using brick instead of stone. Oral tradition has it that Captain Stirling required a house in sight of his signal station; within reach of it on horseback if action threatened; and on a site with fresh running water.
He modelled his home, it is said, on a brick built Elizabethan watchtower in his native East Anglia. Crucifix form building, five-storey central tower, three-four storey cruciform and two-storey infills at the front.
Red brick piers with red brick infill, painted in parts. Brickwork parapet with pointed arches and a rounded brick cornice. Rounded brick pointed (Gothic and Tudor style) arches on door and windows. Windows are timber casements with Tudor arch heads and tops. Round window over door with Star of David at centre in coloured glass.
Stone boundary wall, gateposts topped with slender pyramids. Ornamental gardens. The interior has cruciform plan with open doorways linking the central landing with the four radiating rooms. There is a central lantern in the top floor. Doorcases and windows are modelled in Gothic style.
Old Jersey Houses
- Stirling Castle: Further reading