No 34 Queen Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

34 Queen Street, St Helier


The building, refronted in the early 20th century, may have been the inspiration for the building further down the street which was built a decade or so later with similar windows

Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

A 1920s photograph showing No 34 on the left

Property name

34 Queen Street


Queen Street, St Helier

Type of property

Early 19th century shop, remodelled in early 20th century and now divided into two - Nos 34 and 34a. It is the last property on the south side of the street. making the corner with Snow Hill


The property, described as 34 and 34½, was sold for £965,000 in 2008

We have not found any other reference to the presence of Mr Noel's Snow Hill cycle works at No 34 Queen Street. This must have been towards the end of the 19th century or early in the 20th

Families and businesses associated with the property

There is no record of No 34 in early censuses. Pork butcher John Cory was shown there in an 1874 almanac. The advert on the left indicates that tailor Gordon Palmer traded here as Au Bon Marche in 1881. He was followed by broker R D Plymen in 1896 and 1890, the Phoenix Club, about which little is known, in 1901. It was managed by Edward Jones (1836- ) and his wife Prudence (1865- ), both from England. It was followed in 1905 by Eastman's Ltd, from 1920 to 1940 by L Klein, then for 20 years by B A Fairbairn, and it is now Le Petit Cafe and La Petite Baguette.

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A prominent late Victorian/Edwardian shop retaining historic character and features, with unusual curved wall and oriel window details.

Three storeys, five bays wrapping around corner. Rendered walls with pilasters running through three floors at corners, and flanking principal entrance.

Ground floor shop front has continuous moulded fascia, corner pilasters with reeded, pedimented brackets. Replacement windows and door on shopfronts. First floor has Edwardian-pattern canted oriel windows.

The interior includes a heavy, late Victorian/Edwardian newel post which has been grafted on to an earlier staircase. This staircase has been constructed in a confined stairwell and ascends in a tight curve.

One six-panel door survives in an upper level room, confirming that this is an early 19th century building which was set back for road widening, with a remodelled frontage, probably in the Edwardian period.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs