No 32 Queen Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

32 Queen Street, St Helier


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

In this 2005 photograph No 32 is the shop on the left which has its lights on

Property name

32 Queen Street


Queen Street, St Helier

Type of property

Early 20th century shop


No recent transactions

Families and businesses associated with the property

John Renouf (1813- ), a mariner, and his wife Charlotte (1818- ), a grocer were here in 1851, with retired grocer Margaret Gallichan, John's daughters Charlotte, Mary and Eliza, and stepdaughter Charlotte Simon. This suggests that Charlotte was the daughter of Margaret Gallichan and had been married first to a Simon.

Also at the premises were shoemaker Philip Le Cornu (1828- ) and his wife Caroline (1825- ).


By 1861 the premises were home to widowed grocer Anne Coutanche, nee Henry, born in St John in 1806, and her daughters Elise (1837- ) and Jane (1839- ). She was the widow of Josue Coutanche, having married him in St John in 1827, and the daughter of Thomas Henry and Katherine Le Quesne. Also living with her in 1871 was her printer son Joshua, who employed one man and 13 apprentices.

By 1880 the grocery business had been taken over by Eliza Chubb (1821- ), followed in 1891 by draper Alfred Burch (1865- ), living with his wife Eva (1866- ) daughter Grace (1889- ) and son Alfred (1890- ). They were followed in 1896 by J E Binet, in 1900 by Fryer and Co, and in 1901 by butcher Alberd Edward Hillier, born in England in 1873, who lived there with his wife Gerturde, nee Foster (1874- ) and son Albert Edward (1901- ).

The businesses of several occupants in street listings up to 1925 were not recorded. The property was then taken over by Singer and Co., followed in 1950 by Vanity Fayre, which remained there into the 21st century. It is interesting that when Singer move here in 1925 they described the new location as 'more central' than New Cut, which is between King Street and Broad Street

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Circa 1900 shop retaining its historic shopfront and windows, making a positive contribution to the street scene. Three storeys plus attic, two bays. Pitched slate roof with rendered stacks and glazed dormer. Rendered walls. Circa 1900s shopfront has deep fascia supported by curved brackets.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs