No 20 Queen Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

20 Queen Street, St Helier


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Philip du Heaume's confectionery shop

Property name

20 Queen Street


Queen Street, St Helier

Type of property

Former town house, and shop


No recent transactions

Families and businesses associated with the property

Boot and shoe maker Mr Le Seelleur was working here in 1833. By 1851 the premises were occupied by master printer and newspaper publisher Richard Gosset (1820- ), who was living there with his mother Marie, nee Horman (1780- ), widow of Matthieu Gosset, and his sister Ann (1819- ), a bonnet maker. Richard was a bookseller, stationer and printer, but is best remembered as publisher of La Patrie, a french weekly newspaper, published on Saturdays from 1845 to 1852.

He was followed at No 20 by confectioner Thomas Dacombe, born in England in 1825, who lived there with his wife Elvina, nee Baker, born in Guernsey in 1829, children Rhoda Elvina (1851- ) and William Henry (1855- ), and Elvina's widowed mother Elvina (1798- ). The 1871 census shows Constance Flaherty (1841- ), a milliner, living at No 20 with her husband, a steward, their two daughters and two sons. In 1874 milliner Mrs O'Flaherty was trading at No 20, followed in 1880 by grocer E Jones, in 1886 by cabinet makers Fitch and son, in 1890 by Henry Payne Hines (or Hind, or Hine), a cabinet maker and upholsterer born in St Saviour in 1852. Henry, the son of Robert and Mary Payne, was living with his wife Clara (1861- ), daughter Maud (1891- ) and his mother.

By 1900 the premises were occupied by baker and pastry cook Philip John du Heaume, born in St Ouen in 1865, his wife Ada Leonora Matilda, nee de Ste Croix (1867- ) and their children Florence Rosa (1892- ) and Charles Philip (1893- ). They were still there in 1905, and Philippe was followed in business by Charles Philip, until the premises were taken on by Scotch Wool and Hosiery Stores in 1940. The French Consulate operated at No 20 from 1950 to 1970, one of a number of Queen Street properties at which it was located over the years. In the 1968 the Jaeger shop was here, followed in the 21st century by Vision Express.

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A late Victorian shop whose character contributes positively to the streetscape in overall scale, form and massing. Three storeys, three bays. Flat roof. Rendered walls lined in imitation ashlar. First floor has three tall renewed French windows with keystone heads. Three similar second floor windows, with cills supported on shell brackets.

It retains a late Victorian staircase with square newel, spine like handrail and chunky balusters; and a gothic revival fireplace with round headed cast-iron insert on the upper floor.

No 20 is the building with a black shopfront, three from the left

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs