No 14 Mulcaster Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

14 Mulcaster Street, St Helier


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

The Star Hotel is right of centre in this photograph taken across the Weighbridge, making the corner opposite Shaw's Navy Hotel and the Royal Yacht Hotel, with its Mulcaster Street frontage leading off to the right

Property name

14 Mulcaster Street

Other names

  • Elephant and Castle Hotel
  • Adderson's Star Hotel
  • The Star Hotel


Corner of Mulcaster Street and Wharf Street, St Helier [1]

Type of property

Hotel, later restaurant


No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

  • Stevens: In a 1919 codicil to her 1902 will Mary Ann Stevens left Ruby Louise Beaugeard a number of properties, including her share in 14 Mulcaster Street

Census returns

  • 1861: John Le Boutillier (27) shipwright, Eliza (25) and Florence (1)
  • 1881: Lydia Phillips (40) publican
  • 1891: Abraham Addison (59) publican from Clacton on Sea [2]

Almanac listings

  • 1880-1890: A Adderson, publican
  • 1895: P McAllen
  • 1900: F H Middleton
  • 1905-1965: Star Hotel (no proprietor or manager named)
  • 1990: Royal Bank of Scotland

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A large and dominant property of circa 1800 origins, which retains original fabric and openings together with impressive overall massing. Contributes to the streetscape.

An amalgam of separate early 19th century buildings shown on 1810 Jersey Magazine map. Substantial corner property on Hope Street, Wharf Street and Mulcaster Street. Three storeys with mansard attic - six bays on Hope Street; five bays on Wharf Street; five bays on Mulcaster Street, plus thrree corner bays.

Mulcaster Street: raised parapet on corner has windows. Plain stucco with moulding detail between first and second floors. Fascia band and a set of railings in front of first floor windows separates the ground floor.

Notes and references

  1. Although often described as being at the Weighbridge, and earlier, The Pier, the old name for the row of hotels from the Star to the Southampton, the building is strictly part of Mulcaster and Wharf streets. Its main entrance has always been on the corner
  2. This was a mis-spelling. His name was Adderson


Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs