No 11 Beresford Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

11 Beresford Street, St Helier


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

19th century view of the cobbled street. No 11 is on the right of the photograph with a sunblind

Property name

11 Beresford Street


Beresford Street, St Helier

Type of property

Victorian building, conventional modern shopfont with living accommodation above. Previously a fishmonger with shop open to the street during trading hours


No recent transactions

Families and businesses associated with the property

  • Dupré: In 1941 Registration Card of Alice Isabella Dupre, nee Shepperd (1887- ), widow of Clarence Frank Dupre, was living here

Census returns

  • 1851 - John Le Vavasseur dit Durell (69) owner of houses; son John 35, rope maker employing 21 men, daughter in law Eliza (31), grandsons Francis (6), William (4), nephew Thompson (19), rope maker, nieces Jane (18) and Cecilia (17), dressmakers. Francis Shore (40) club steward; wife Jane (40), daughter Eliza (15), cook and housemaid
  • 1861 – Elias Falle (23) grocer and tea dealer; sisters Fanny (30), Mary Ann (17) and Elise (15) all working in the shop. Joshua Picot (74) retired school teacher; son Joshua (35) photographic artist; daughter Esther (39) governess
  • 1871 - Elias Falle (32) and brother Philip (21), grocers
  • 1881-1891 - Philip Falle (32) grocer; sister Eliza (38) housekeeper (only 1881)
  • 1901 - George Downer (47) grocer; wife Alice (47), one son,

Almanac listings

  • 1874-1895 - P Falle, grocer
  • 1900 - G Downer
  • 1910-1920 - Le Rossignol and Roissier
  • 1925-1955 - C F Dupre
  • 1960-1980 - C S Dupre
  • 1976 - Metro Vending (Dupre business closed but still resident above)
  • 1980-2022 - Emess Lighting

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Early-mid 19th century building which retains its original character externally and to some extent internally. Three-storey with attic. three-bay. Slate roof with two small box dormers. Original gutter tray and fascia. Ground floor shop front and flat entrance defined by ionic pilasters. First floor, front office retains original fire surround with adjacent sideboards. Stair to first floor stores original, simple stair with (some) stick balusters. Original floorboards. Cellar has two fluted iron columns supporting floor over.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs