No 10 Bath Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

10 Bath Street, St Helier


The section of Bath Street, originally known as New Bath Street, in 1965. No 10, which makes the corner with Hilgrove Street is closest to the camers

Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

No 10 makes the corner at the fronty of this row of 19th century shops

Property name

10 Bath Street

Other names

This section of the street was created in 1877 as New Bath Street, linking what was then Lower Bath Street to Queen Street. It is not clear which number was allocated to this property


Bath Street, St Helier

Type of property

19th century shop, built as one of a row of four properties in 1877, when Bath Street was extended to Queen Street


No recent transactions


Families associated with the property

  • Maurice Gould lived at this property during the Occupation. He was arrested while attempting to escape from Jersey on 3 May 1942 and was deported to German penal prisons and concentration camps. Maurice, aged 19, died of tuberculosis at Wiltlich Concentration Camp on 2 October 1943 and is buried at Wiltlich Military Cemetery, Germany.
  • 1930-1940 - C R Trueblood
  • 1950-1965 - A G Champion, herbal store
  • 1970-1980 - St Ouen Antiques
  • 1990 - Cloud 10

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Part of linked row of four mid-late 19th century shops that retain their exterior historic character and features.

Three-storey, two-bay retail corner building. East elevation: Roof obscured behind parapet with heavy projecting cornice at gutter level. Walls rendered with ashlar and keystone effect. Ground floor shopfront framed by pilasters. Corner door. Modern fascia. North elevation: Solid rendered wall with two-bay shopfront matching east elevation.

The 1965 picture in the box above shows a separate entrance on the right of the property to what was presumably accommodation above. By the time the picture accompanying the HER listing was taken, this entrance has disappeared, with the only access to the upper storeys presumably via the shop. Aerial views suggest that there is no access at the back of No 10, the area immediately behind being part of the Boots building.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs