Laurel Lands

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Laurel Lands, St Saviour


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Property name

Laurel Lands


Route de Maufant, St Saviour

Type of property

19th century rural house


Sold for £790,000 in 2001, and for £1,175,000 in 2006

Families associated with the property

  • de Gruchy: The property was built in 1844 by retired Master Mariner, Elie de Gruchy (1803-1865), who owned Maufant Farm, called in the mid-20th century Cowley Farm, and its 45 vergées on the opposite, west, side of the main road. On the east side of the road, he owned but one field, however it afforded a better view south, being on a rise. There was also space for the present garden. He and his wife, Jeanne Le Geyt, brought up their family of two surviving daughters and a son at Laurel Lands, so-named to reflect de Gruchy`s political loyalties, his family being then staunch supporters of the Lempriere`s Laurel party. In 1848, Elie bought from Francois Ahier another farmhouse, with its 26 vergées, this being some few yards to the north of his newly-completed home, to which he gave the name Laurel Lands Farm. Their son, Elie Philippe de Gruchy, an Old Victorian, briefly inherited in 1865 most of the property. He studied medecine at Caen and the Sorbonne, but died in 1869 at an early age. His sisters divided the properties in 1869, Jeanne Marguerite, wife of Deputy Thomas Gaudin, taking Maufant Farm and Lydia Jane [1] taking Laurel Lands and its farm.
  • Ogier: Lydia de Gruchy married William John Ogier, Solicitor and Militia Captain, and they, in their turn, brought up their family, a large one, at Laurel Lands. This was a happy home, even if the next generation was to follow either husbands or careers abroad, in many directions. Three of the daughters married tea-planters and went to live in India or Ceylon, whilst the eldest son went to live in New Zealand, having descendants in the United States of America. The youngest son, a Captain in the Royal Irish Rifles, won a Military Cross, but died some years later having been gassed in the trenches of Flanders, whilst another son, Advocate L. L`H. Ogier, was to end his days in a German Concentration Camp.
  • Le Lay: In 1941 Jean Le Lay (1912- ) and his wife Eliane, nee Omnes (1913- ) were living here.

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A mid-19th century, three-bay house, which retains its historic character and features.

First floor central opening is French doors leading on to full width balcony. Ground floor has flat roofed porch with guttae to overhanging eaves, tripglyphs and metopes to cornice, fluted columns. Entrance doorway with panelled reveal, geometric overlight and margin lights. Rear elevation with tall arched stair window.

Notes and references

  1. There is a memorial within St Saviour`s Church dedicated to the memory of Lydia Jane de Gruchy and of her husband, William John Ogier
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs