Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Rectory Lane, St Saviour
Type of property
18th century house with earlier origins
Sold for £1,260,000 in 2017. Following refusal of planning permission to build another house in the grounds, the property was then offered for sale again, most recently at a reduced price of £1,495,000
Families associated with the property
- Le Touzel: The home of Miss Esther Le Touzel and her family prior to 1836
- de Gruchy: Purchased in 1836 by Abraham de Gruchy as a home until 1841, when he bought The Grove, in St Lawrence. Leaving there after a few years, he lived intermittently at Langley House. In 1850, he entertained at the house visiting French officials.  His family retained ownership until 1886, using it latterly as a home for their bank`s chief cashier, whose grandson was one Cecil Louis Troughton Smith (1899-1966), better known under his nom de plume, C. S. Forester
- Mourant: In 1941 Jean Florence Mourant (1926- ) was living here. Although she was only 15 and described as a 'schoolgirl', there is apparently no record of anybody living here with her.
- Jeune: The 20-21st century family home of Senator Reg Jeune and his wife Monica
- ED?M 173? - Unidentified stone with date probably corresponding to refronting of house
Historic Environment Record entry
A good example of an early 18th century house, with earlier origins, retaining historic character and features with a distinct Georgian-style frontage. 
Principally early 18th century house. John McCormack Channel Island Houses suggests house was re-fronted circa 1730s but has much earlier origins. Gable kneeler dated 173?. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Six-bay, two-storey house. Pitched roof with pantiles; three pitched roof dormers on front slope, large dormer over stair bay on rear slope. East gable has tall dressed stone chimney with thatch dripstones; dressed stone gable coping with moulded kneeler. West gable has tall rendered chimney; stone gable kneeler.
Entrance in fourth bay has timber porch with slender columns. Most of the rear elevation is obscured by later extensions. 20th century west wing and later infill wing to east.
Of interest in the interior of the house is its 18th century structure and the good survival of principally 18th century joinery features. The roof retains some original pegged trusses, but has otherwise been largely replaced. Floor beams, with simple incised decoration, are evident in ground and first floor rooms.
The staircase has a simple 18th century character with stick balusters with a moulded handrail and continuous inner newel post. Other newels appear to have been replaced, and the stair at attic level appears of a different phase with moulded splat balusters.
The only fireplace to survive is an egg-timer grate in the attic.
Old Jersey Houses
Not included despite age
Notes and references
- ↑ ABSJ, (1965), 55
- ↑ There is nothing remotely Georgian about the frontage, which predates the period by about a century. This is a typical 18th century Jersey granite house with the addition of a timber porch with columns which was fashionable in later years.