Dean Thomas Le Breton
The son of David Le Breton, merchant and shipowner of St Helier, and Marie, daughter of Gilles Du Pin, merchant, of St Lo, Normandy, he was born in 1680.
He was educated at a school in Southampton and obtained a grant from the Don Baudains and matriculated at Pembroke College, Oxford, in 1695, at the age of fifteen. He obtained his BA in 1699 and MA in 1702. He became a Fellow of Exeter in 1702.
He was appointed Rector of St Mary, Jersey, in 1706 and resigned his fellowship the following year. He soon took a leading part in the disputes then raging between the Rectors and the Royal Court.
In 1712 the aged Clement Le Couteur appointed him Vice-Dean, and two years later he succeeded him as Dean. A Latin inscription in St Mary’s Church proclaims the ‘fertility of his genius, the culture of his mind, his vast erudition, and, his knowledge of many literatures’.
He married Marie, daughter of Jurat Raulin Robin. His only son, Thomas, became Constable of St Peter and an advocate.