Woodlands, St Ouen

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Woodlands, St Ouen


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name



Rue des Pallieres, St Ouen

Type of property

Dressed granite country house, medieval origins but refurbished in 21st century with little of historical interest remaining


Sold for £1.5 million in 2015

Families associated with the property

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

The house has likely medieval origins - re-fronted circa 1700-1750. McCormack dates the hall fireplace jambs to the 15th century, likely originally part of a medieval open hall. The parlour and chamber fireplaces are originally circa 1700.

Refurbished and altered 21st century.

Two-storey, five-bay house. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

The house retains some fragments of its historic interior. On the ground floor west gable are the remains of a late medieval stone fireplace with surviving jambs - the corbels, shoulder-stones and hood cut back and there is now a recent stone lintel; the ground floor east gable has a rebuilt circa 1700 corbelled stone fireplace; in the above bedroom is a rebuilt circa 1700 corbelled stone fireplace with new timber lintel and rebuilt hood. A few 18th century pine beams survive in first floor rooms.

Small section of 18th century A-frame pegged pine roof timbers along with the original ridge rafter - the purlins with import marks. The early origins of the house are demonstrated by the surviving jambs of a circa 15th century fireplace on the west gable. The extent of modern alteration and rebuild, however, is such that little of the historic interior survives in its original form. The fireplaces have all been significantly altered and rebuilt, most beams are modern replicas (with a few 18th century pine beams to first floor), and only a small section of the 18th century A-frame pegged roof trusses survive. The only notable feature of interest on the exterior of the property is its south frontage with circa early 18th century stonework – although this too has been subject to some modern adjustments and has modern windows and doors.

Old Jersey Houses

Despite its early origins the property does not feature in either volume

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs