Trinity war memorial

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search



WW1Icon.png


Trinity parish war memorial


W17TrinityMemorial.jpg


The Parish of Trinity memorial to those born or living in the parish at the outbreak of the Great War is an inscribed five-panel wooden board inside the church.

Other memorials

The centre panel of the memorial has a gold cross, with the inscription: Priez pour eux. On both inner panels are inscribed the names of the Great War victims, and on the outer panels are the names of ten parishioners who fell in the Second World War.

There is also an engraved stone tablet, with the Great War Roll of Honour. The stone tablet contains 30 names, but one of these is missing from the inscribed board, which apparently had nine names added in 2012.

Details of those honoured

An article in the parish magazine Trinity Tatler provided details of those whose names appear on the war memorial

On 16 April 1946 a Trinity parish assembly approved the report of a special sub-committee which had been set up to consider the creation of a commemorative lych gate at the Parish Church. It was agreed that the design should follow that of the existing lych gate at St Saviour’s Parish Church and the cost was estimated to be £500-£550. The architects Grayson and Le Sueur, of York Chambers, were commissioned to draw up plans. There was a delay of some two years before the plans were finally brought to the assembly again for approval on 16 August 1948. By this time the estimated cost had risen to £1000, which prompted Cyril Ozouf to suggest that the money might be better spent on building homes for retired ex-servicemen.

There was no seconder for this motion, but his proposal that the lych gate should not be funded through the rates was adopted unanimously. The work was finally completed and the memorial dedicated on 31 May 1951. There are 30 names listed on the memorial stone and no record of the criteria employed to determine which names should be included. Most, but not all, were born and registered in Trinity. At least three probably never saw active service at all and three died more than a year after the Armistice was signed

The following is original research for the Trinity Tattler into the fallen of the Great War:

Josué Renouf Bisson, an ecrivain, and Wilfred John Le Breton were members of the Royal Jersey Militia; both died in the Island and are buried in Trinity Churchyard. Another who probably did not see active service was John Tourgis du Val, who emigrated to Canada and joined the RAF while there. He died in an air crash whilst undergoing training.

Charles Garnet Blampied and Thomas John Blampied were brothers who died within three months of each other. Thomas emigrated to Canada and served with the Canadian forces. There was a third brother also who had served, but was a prisoner of war in 1916. John Blampied, who is also on the memorial, seems to have been a relative because the Almorah Crecent address is common to them both, although at different times.

John had a brother, Charles William, who was born within days of Charles Garnet and who served with the Royal Irish Rifles. He died in a drowning accident in Ireland where the Jersey contingent had gone to train before deployment to the front. Considering that others who had not served in France were on the memorial, it seems a little unfair that Charles William is not there also.

Apart from John Du Val, three others on the memorial served with Canadian forces and three others, who were probably French nationals living and working in Trinity prior to joining up, served in the French Infantry.

For two names, J E M Herve and W F H. Herve, it has not been possible to trace any information whatsoever. They are not listed on any island birth register or Census return. It is possible that they were also French nationals.

Three other men died after the end of the war and it is not known why their names appear on the memorial, although they almost certainly saw active service. The list of all 30 names on the memorial follows, together with some details gathered from the Jersey Census records, Jersey Registry, Jersey Archive, JEP archive and the online CI Great War Study Group.

All men had their births registered in Trinity, unless otherwise stated.

  • Josué Renouf Bisson (ecrivain) was a sergeant in the RMIJ, 3rd (Town) Battalion. He died at Rozel on 19 August 1917 and was buried in Trinity Churchyard. He was born on 11 November 1886 at Ville à l’Évècque. Father: Josué Machon Bisson. Mother: Charlotte Rachel (née Le Boutillier Renouf). The 1901 and 1911 Census records show that he was living at Aurora Cottage, which was apparently near the Rectory.
  • Charles Garnet Blampied was a rifleman in the Royal Irish Rifles 7th Battalion. Born on 28 March 1886. Died on 6 September 1916 with no known grave; he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial panels. Father: Charles, of Ocean View Terrace, St Helier. Mother: Mary Jane (née Gallichan). The Census records show that he was living at Vert Pignon, Trinity in 1891 and 1901 and at La Guerdainerie, Trinity in 1911.
  • Thomas John Blampied (brother of Charles Garnet) was a private in the Canadian Infantry (New Brunswick Regiment) 26th Battalion; Service Number 69085. Born on 30 November 1894. Died on 18 June 1916 with no known grave; he is commemorated on the Ypres Memorial. Took part in the Battle of Mont Sorrel in June 1916. Father: Charles. Mother: Mary Jane (née Gallichan). The Census records show that he was living at Le Mont Billot, Trinity in 1901, but is not listed on the 1911 record, so may have already emigrated to Canada.
  • John Blampied was a private in the Middlesex Regiment, 23rd Battalion (Known as the ‘2nd Football Battalion’ on account of the number of professional footballers it contained). Born in 1899. Died on 9 October 1916 and buried in Warlencourt British Cemetery, Pas de Calais. Father: Charles. Mother: Madge. The Census records show that he was living in St Helier in 1901and 1911. His parents were living at 8 Almorah Crescent at the time of his death. He is also commemorated on Aquila Road Methodist Church Memorial.
  • John James Bull was a company sergeant major in the Leicestershire Regiment 1st Battalion. Born in 1881. Died on 15 September 1916 and buried in Guards' Cemetery, Leseoufs. Father: Charles (of Cosby, Leicestershire). Mother: Mary Jane (née Pougher). Wife: Lydia Jane (née Lempriere) who was living at 51 Great Union Road at the time of her husband’s death. The only Census on which his name is recorded is 1901, when he was living at La Moye, St Brelade. He died on the same day as William de la Haye (but not necessarily in the same action).
  • Frederick Max Burger was a lieutenant in the Canadian Infantry (Central Ontario Regiment) 3rd Battalion. Born in 1890. Died on 14 October 1918 and is buried in Chapel Corner Cemetery, Sauchy-Lestree. Father: George William Charles (late proprietor of the Bouley Bay Hotel). Mother: Margaret (née Tobin). Census records show that he was living at 12 Lempriere Street, St Helier in 1891, but by 1911 he had emigrated to Canada. His mother was living in Lempriere Street at the time of her son’s death. He is also commemorated on the family memorial in Almorah Cemetery and on the memorial in the Masonic Temple
  • Edwin John De La Haye was a private in the Royal Army Service Corps, 19th Reserve Company. Born in Grouville on 25 August 1888. Died on 18 December 1919 and buried in Morden Cemetery, London. Father: John. Mother: Margaret (or Marguerite). Wife: Bertha, who was living at 15 Birley Street, London at the time of her husband’s death. Census records show that he was living at La Roulinerie, Ville a l’Evecque in 1891 and at Maison de Haut (near Alfriston House) in 1901. He died after the war in London, perhaps from injuries suffered during the war.
  • Wilfred De La Haye (used the name Delaney) was a private in the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles (Saskatchewan Regiment). Born on 6 October 1885. Died on 15 September 1916. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Vimy Memorial. Father: Alfred. Mother: No information available. Census records show that in 1891, aged six, he was listed as a ‘boarder’ living at Hamilton Cottage, so his mother may have died and he may have already emigrated to Canada by 1901. His Regiment was in the first wave of attacks against Mouquet Farm on 15 September as part of the Battle of the Somme. He died on the same day as John James Bull (but not necessarily in the same action).
  • Elias George Dorey was a gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery, 290th Siege Battery. Born on 5 January 1894. Died on 31 October 1917 and is buried in Ruisseau Farm Cemetery, Ypres. Father: John (Centenier). Mother: Elise (née Amy). Census records show that he was living at Le Douet, St. John in 1901 and 1911. His parents were living at Brook Farm, St John at the time of their son’s death. His name is also on the St John Parish Memorial and Sion Methodist Church Memorial.
  • John Philip Du Feu was a private in the London Regiment, 15th Battalion. Born in 1893. Died on 3 August 1917. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Ypres Memoria. Father: James (John). Mother: Ann. He left a widow who lived in London. Census records show that he lived at La Gabourellerie, St Ouen in 1901 and 1911. His parents lived at Rue es Pelles, Trinity at the time of his death.
  • John Tourgis Du Val, cadet, Royal Air Force, 44th Wing; Service number 153256. Born in 1893 apparently in St Martin, but registered in Trinity. Died on 13 April 1918 and is buried in Alliston Union Cemetery, Ontario, Canada. Census records show that he was living in St John in 1901, but he had emigrated to Canada in 1908. Father: John, Mother: Ada. Parents were living at La Bagatelle, Trinity at the time of their son’s death.
  • James Hudson Goldsmith was a regimental wergeant major in the Royal Garrison Artillery Staff - Heavy Artillery Brigade. Service number 97314. Born in 1879 in Alderney. Died on 28 July 1916 and buried in Baghdad War Cemetery, Iraq. Father: James, Mother: Mary . Wife: Lilian (of Fairview, Trinity). Census records show that he lived in St Lawrence, but his wife, Lilian, was living at Fairview, Trinity at the time of his death. He was taken prisoner at Kut el Amara and died while in Turkish captivity.
  • Alfred Charles Guegan (listed as Gehan in the Census) was a private in the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, 7th Battalion. Service number 28638. Born on 16 September 1899. Died on 23 August 1918. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Vis-en-Artois Cemetery, Pas de Calais. Father: Jean Francois. Mother: Marie Francoise (née Darcel). Census records show that he lived at Underwood, Trinity, in 1911. His parents were French nationals living at La Biarderie, Trinity at the time of his death. His name also appears on St Matthew’s Roman Catholic Church Memorial.
  • Jean Pierre Guegan was a private in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 1st Battalion. Service number 29493. Born in 1894. Died on 13 April 1918. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Ploegsteert Cemetery Memorial. Father: James (Jacques). Mother: Victoire. Parents were French nationals. Census records show that he was living at Green View Farm in St Martin in 1911. His parents were living at Melville Cottage, Trinity at the time of his death. He is also on St Martin's Parish Memorial, St Matthew’s Roman Catholic Church Memorial and on Our Lady of the Annunciation and the Martyrs of Japan, St Martin Memorial.
  • Leon Hamon (French national) was a Soldat 2nd Class in the French Infantry 74th Territorial Regiment. Born on 4 November 1876 in Normandy. Died on 26 October 1914. He has no known grave. Father and mother: no information available. Wife: Louisa. Census records show that he lived at Le Pont, St Martin in 1901 and at Les Grands Bouillons, Trinity, in 1911. His name appears on the French Consulate Board in St Thomas Church.
  • J E M. Herve nothing known
  • W F H Herve Nothing known
  • John Francis Kerfant Was a lance corporal in the Middlesex Regiment 4th Battalion. Born on 11 June 1891 in Trinity. Died on 12 October 1918 and buried in Manamcourt Cemetery, Somme. Father: Jean Louis. Mother: Marie Francoise Josephine (née Le Tacon). Parents living at 1 Patriotic Street, St Helier at the time of their son’s death. Census records show that he was living at Le Neveu Cottages, St Helier in 1901 and at St Brelade in 1911. His name is also on St Thomas' Roman Catholic Church Memorial.
  • Arthur Raymond Laisney was a bombadier in the Royal Garrison Artillery, 475 Siege Battery. Born on 5 October 1892. Died on 2 December 1917 (of pneumonia in Portsmouth Hospital) and buried in Hastings Cemetery. Father: Peter Francis. Mother: Elizabeth (née Du Feu). Wife: Margaret May (née Carpenter) of 9 Cambridge Gardens, Hastings. Census records show that he lived at L’Abri, Trinity in 1901 and 1911 and his parents were still living there at the time of his death.
  • Raymond Le Breton was a private in the Dorsetshire Regiment 1st Battalion. Born on 5 August 1894. Died on 16 April 1918. He is buried in St Sever Cemetery, Rouen (died from inhalation of poison gas). Father: Philip Thomas. Mother: Dinah Amy (née Bisson). Census records show that he was living La Garenne, Trinity in 1901 and in St Helier in 1911. His parents were living at 2 Dorset Street at the time of his death.
  • Wilfred John Le Breton was a private in the RMIJ, 3rd (Town) Battalion. Born on 25 August 1888. Died on 23 November 1916 after a short illness and was buried in Trinity Churchyard. Father: Thomas Philip Le Breton. Mother: Mary Ann (née Machon). Wife: Louisa Florence (née Allo) who was living in Pier Road at the time of his death. Census records show that he was living at L’Epine, Trinity in 1891 and 1901, but had moved to St Helier by 1911.
  • Philip Renouf Le Cornu was an armourer in the Royal Navy, serving on HMS Malaya, Service number M16018. Born on 6 April 1879 Died on 31 May 1916 from injuries sustained at the Battle of Jutland. He is buried in Lyness Royal Navy Cemetery, Orkney. Father: Philip Picot. Mother: Susan Marguerite. Wife: Mary (née Langlois). Census records show that he was living at 25 Windsor Road, St Helier in 1891 but had probably already joined the Navy before 1901. He was one of 26 Jerseymen who died at the Battle of Jutland. His parents were living at Vincent Hall, Trinity at the time of his death. His name also appears on the Old Boys of St Marks Company Boys Brigade Memorial.
  • Walter Charles Le Mercier was a corporal in the Royal Engineers, 12th Field Company. Born on 2 February 1877. Died on 21 of March 1918. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial. Father: Peter. Mother: Elizabeth (née Le Breton). Wife: Emily Kate (of Bishop’s Waltham, Hampshire). Census records show that he was living at La Rondiolle in 1881 and at Tas de Geon in 1901.
  • Hedley Augustus Morcel was an ordinary seaman in the Royal Navy, HM Drifter Catspaw. Born on 9 December 1900. Died on 31 December 1919 and is buried in the Kyiberg Cemetery, Sweden. Father: Augustus. Mother: Emelie (née Dalton). Parents living at Les Fougeres, St John at the time of their son’s death. Census records show that he was living at Les Croix, Trinity, in 1901. The ship went down with all 14 crew in a storm off Copenhagen. His death occurred more than a year after the end of the war.
  • Clarence Durell Nicolle was a lance corporal in the Royal Marines, 1st Battalion. Born on 28 August 1891. Died on 9 October 1918 and is buried in Delsaux Farm Cemetery, Beugny. Father: Elias. Mother: Jane (née Le Cornu). Wife: Lilian Emily (née Elliott). Census records show that he was living at 51 Garden Lane, St Helier in 1901 and 1911. His name also appears on the Halkett Place Primary School Memorial, the St Mark's Church Memorial, the Old Boys of St Mark’s Company Boys Brigade Memorial and the memorial in The Masonic Temple to Freemasons. His parents were living in Ann Street and his wife was living at 15 Devonshire Lane at the time of his death.
  • John Alfred Olivry was a bombadier in the Royal Garrison Artillery, 23rd Battery 108th Brigade. Born on 10 May 1894. Died on 28 October 1918 and is buried in Ste Marie Cemetery, Le Havre. Father: Jean. Mother: Amy (née Audrain). Census records show that he lived at Clearview, Trinity in 1911. His parents were living at Les Hougettes, St John at the time of his death. His name is also on St John’s Parish Memorial and Sion Methodist Church Sunday School Memorial.
  • Philip Henry Pallot was a private in the Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry, 1st Battalion. Birth date unknown. Died on 7 December 1919 and is buried in Suzanne Cemetery, Albert. Father: Philip. Mother: Elizabeth Emma. Census records show that he lived at 15 Journeaux Street, St Helier in 1891, but he does not appear on the record thereafter. He may have moved to England. At the time of his death his parents were living in Penryn, Cornwall.
  • Jean Marie Joseph Reux (French national) was a soldat 2nd Class in the French Infantry, 74th Territorial Regiment. Born in 1877. Died on 2 June 1916 and is buried in Roeslare Cemetery, Belgium. Father and Mother: No information available. Census records show that he lived at Les Hougues Cottage, Trinity in 1911 and his wife was still there at the time of his death.
  • Pierre Marie Ange Rondel (French national) was a soldat 2nd Class in the French Infantry, 2nd Colonial Regiment. Born on 23 March 1883. Died on 30 January 1915 at the Battle of Bois de la Grurie. He has no known grave. Census records show that he lived in St Martin in 1911.
  • Peter James Therin was a gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery, 387th Siege Battery. Born on 17 June 1898. Died on 5 November 1917 at Basmali of fever and is buried in the Basra War Cemetery and Memorial, Nasiriyah, Iraq. Father: Pierre Marie Francois. Mother: Mary Jane (Malorey). Census records show that his parents were living at Sunny Cottage, Augres at the time of his death. His name is also on St Matthew Roman Catholic Church Memorial and on St Thomas' Roman Catholic Church Memorial.
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs