Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
80 St Mark's Road
80 St Mark's Road, St Helier
Type of property
Early 19th century town house, unusually with exposed granite walls
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Le Blancq: In 1941 Philip George Le Blancq (1898- ) was living here with his children Florence Violet (1919- ), Philip George (1921- ), Joyce Mary (1922- ) Clarence Leonard (1927- ) and Barbara Joy (1938- )
- The property is now a care home for up to 25 young people, run by the Shelter Trust
Historic Environment Record entry
A distinct early 1900s property combining an austere stone facade with lighter and playful Edwardian timberwork that is a specific Jersey feature of this time.
Mid-terrace, two-bay, two-torey plus attic. Front elevation: Gabled mansard roof with scalloped slates and dormer. Gable end of mansard with timber eaves and brackets. Stonework with quoins, carved medallions and brackets at eaves, stone window surrounds with pedimented lintels, and red granite string course with Vitruvian scroll relief pattern. Squared bay window at ground floor with single pane casement windows and decorative timber mouldings and overhang that becomes a balcony at first floor. Tripartite windows with French windows at the centre opening on to the balcony.
Stone carved door frame with low pediment and red granite round inset. Single pane overlight with 'Strathmore' in gold lettering. Stone boundary wall with stone copings and carved stone pillars.