St Peter's Country Inn

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Historic Jersey buildings


St Peter's Country Inn, St Peter


H20StPeter'sCountryInn.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

E17AlexandraHotelStPeter.jpg

Property name

St Peter's Country Inn

Other names

  • The Limes
  • Alexandre Hotel
  • St Peter's Country Hotel

Location

Grande Route de St Pierre, St Peter

Type of property

Early 19th century house, now a public house

1950s

Valuations

Sold for £638,705 in 2006

Families associated with the property

One of Jersey's best-known shops started its life at nearby Andover Lodge in St Peter's Village. As a young man, Abraham de Gruchy went to sea on one of his family's merchant ships but returned to Jersey in the early 1800s to work in St Peter for wine merchant and grocer Jean Le Brocq, whose niece he married in 1808. He founded his own business in 1810, as a general merchant and dealer, specialising in drapery and haberdashery items, which were sold from a store in the east extension to Andover Lodge. Wines, spirits, flour, cheeses, saplings and even sheep were sold in the property`s outbuildings.

In 1818, he purchased a triangular plot of land containing an orchard, le Jardin de Seale, from his brother-in-law Matthieu Horton, and built the property that is now St Peter's Country Inn, into which he moved his business. After moving part of the business to St Helier in 1820, he advertised in 1822 the offer of a lease on half the St Peter`s house and garden, but continued selling at both sites until 1832, when he sold the property to Jean Simon, who ran there an identical concern. Jean Simon served several terms as Constable of the parish. Like his predecessor, he was also a shipowner. Later in the 19th century the property seems to have become a private house, which was sold by Francois Becquet to Henry James Berry on 24 November 1894.

The property next became the Alexandre Hotel and had a number of owners in the first half of the 20th century until it was purchased by Fred Webber Clarke from Charles Francis Webb in 19832, It became St Peter's Country Hotel, and finally St Peter's Country Inn.

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Early 19th century property, now public house, which retains its historic proportions and exterior character.

It is a landmark on the junction in the heart of St Peter's village and contributes to the roadside setting.

Twin flight of steps to raised central doorway with pilastered doorcase and voussoirs; round arch with cobweb fanlight.

Notes and references

1944: A German gun emplacement on the roof
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs