St Magloire

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

St Magloire, St Brelade


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Property name

St Magloire


Rue du Crocquet, St Aubin

Type of property

Guesthouse since 1959, formerly merchant's town house


No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

  • Robin
  • Challenor: In 1941 Cecil Challoner (1897- ), his wife Eliza Jane, nee Alexander (1895- ) and their daughters Beryl Cicely (1922- ) and Barbara Edith (1927- ) lived here
  • D'Auvergne

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A good example of a former 18th century merchant's house (with possible origins in 17th century), with important documented associations with Charles Robin.

Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Now a guest house. Reputed to date from 1640, but extensively altered in 1800-20 with building extended to the south, and drawing room added with a bow window with views over St Aubin's Bay.

The home of Charles Robin, Gaspe cod merchant, who died here in 1824.

Fire in 1973 resulted in loss of interior features. Two storeys plus attic and basement, three bays.

Old Jersey Houses

This was the home of Charles Robin, who was born in 1743 and died there unmarried in 1824. It seems likely that its first occupant was his father Philippe (1703-1754) from 1736, when he married Anne, heiress of Jean Dauvergne.

It was probably here that the two younger Dauvergne sisters and their brother-in-law carried on their mestier de marchandise, for at that time the little house stood on land which fell to sea level on the east coast, an area now densely built over. It is not recorded what type of merchandise they stocked but in that position it was probably an all-purpose shop with a bias towards ships' chandlery.

Charles Robin, when he returned to Jersey a very rich man in 1802, may have built on to the south, installing a spacious staircase. At the same time a large and imposing drawing room was added, with a huge bow window commanding a view over the whole of St Aubin's Bay.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs