Somerville Hotel

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search

History

The hotel, which stands on the hillside above St Aubin's Harbour, was originally a private house. The earliest record of the property being sold showed it changed hands for the sum of £430 plus £80 for the stabling in 1877.

Later in the 19th century, the house was extended, redesigned in the style of a Swiss chalet and became the hotel which has hardly changed in shape and size to this day.

James Chapman

The hotel was sold in 1902 by James William Chapman, for £4,011 16s 3d.

He was shown as the hotel keeper in the 1901 census. James (1836- ) was living with his second wife Harriet Mary, nee Wilson (1857- ), who were both from England, and children Frederick Henry (1867- ), Ethel Mary (1884- ), Walter Guy (1886- ), Lilia Alice (1889- ) and Dorothy May (1893- ). Henry was James' son by his first marriage, born in England, and the other children were all born at St Aubin

As with the rest of the Channel Islands the Somerville had a very dark period in its history between June 1940 and May 1945 when it was used as accommodation for German troops occupying the islands.

Reconstruction and renovation started in December 1946 and the hotel reopened for guests in July 1947.

In 1985 the hotel was sold to its present owners, the Dolan family, and became a part of their group, Dolan Hotels, which owns two other hotels on Jersey. They refurbished and extended, maintaining the Swiss chalet appearance.

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs