Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
- Rosedale Cottage
Mont Cochon, St Helier
Type of property
Farm with 17th century origins
Solfd for £5,250,000 in 2011
Families associated with the property
Vautier: In 1941 Emile Francois Marie Vautier (1904- ) was living here
- PHLD+ ELVDD. This stone, which is pictured above, is shown as HHLD+ in OJH and PHLD+ in the Datestone Register and by HER as HHLDX All attribute it to De Ste Croix and Le Vavasseur dit Durell. This seeme highly speculative because if D+ is meant to stand for De Ste Croix, an abbreviation not found elsewhere (the family name is invariably shown on datestones as DSC or DSX), the preceding letters, however they are read, do not correspond to any convention. And although Joan Stevens interpreted the lower set of initials as ELVdD, the way the first letter has been drawn in the illustration in her book suggests that it is a damaged 'B'. A search of our database for all combinations has failed to identify any marriage record which would match this stone
Historic Environment Record entry
A range of Jersey vernacular buildings with 17th century origins, retaining historic character and features of interest. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Main house is five-bay, slate roof with dormers and chimneys. Rubble granite walls with dressed stonework. Windows apparently enlarged vertically, with original six-piece surrounds visible. Ground floor windows with crested accolades.
Chamfered arch doorway dated 1664 with ornamental chamfer stops. Later granite extensions to east - two-bay, two-storey building, then a four-bay single storey block, all under the same roof. Subsidiary wing at right angles.
Old Jersey Houses
This is one of a number of properties, the inclusion of which in the first volume as being 17th century or earlier, is based on rather tenuous evidence.
The article mentions a keystone of an arch with a date of 1664, some minor architectural details, and a partly covered datestone.