Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Type of property
Mid-19th century country house, built for retired Army officer
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Hicks: The house was built for Lt-General George Hicks in 1860. Very little is known about him. He was made a Companion of the Order of the Bath in 1846 while a serving Lt-Colonel. He is not believed to have had any family connections with Jersey and probably retired to the island. His 1873 will, drawn up while living at Waverley Terrace, St Helier, left everything to his four children.
- 18 TAM PACE QUAM PRAELIO 61 - The inscription on this most unusual datestone translates from Latin as 'both peace and battle'
Historic Environment Record entry
A classically styled mid-19th century villa type house, in the Jersey tradition of a 'Cod House', retaining historical features, proportions and character; with extensive gardens.
The main house was built circa 1860 for Lt-General George Hicks. The house is in classical style, unusually with Italianate towers, and incorporating re-used features of Jersey vernacular architecture including an accolade lintel gateway and two earlier arched doorways - one dated 1668 with a carved shield, chamfered, with acorn chamfer stops; the second dated 1638 - the keystone with a carved circle with the date and a raised heart (the earliest occurrence of a datestone heart in Jersey).
The property housed a girls school from 1907 to 1929.