Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
- Les Carrières
- Bigrel Farm
Rue Ville ès Gazeaux, St Lawrence
Type of property
Farm with 15th century origins: Still a working farm in the 21st century
Sold for £1,326,666 in 2009 and for £1.4 million in 2014 
Families associated with the property
- Le Cornu: In 1941 Ernest Romeril Le Cornu (1891- ), his wife Florence Mabel, nee Arthur (1885- ) and their children, twins Alphus John and John Alphus (1925- ), Nancy Margaret (1926- ), Arthur Philip (1928- ) and Eric Ivor (1930- ) were living here. The eldest son, Raymond Ernest (1919- ) applied in 1940 to postpone military service, but was presumably unsuccessful because he was not living here a year later with the rest of the family
INC MGB 1747 The initials stand for Jean Nicolle and Marie Gibaut, who married in St Lawrence in 1741. he couple had children Edouard (1742- ), Marie (1746- ) and Jean (1749- ). We have not been able to place this family group in any of our Nicolle trees
Historic Environment Record entry
A high quality survival of a substantial farm group developed in the 18th and 19th centuries from 15th century origins, with outstanding 18th century interiors. Previously known as 'Les Carrières'. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Seven-bay, two-storey house: Interior includes a lavabo, two round stone arches, high quality circa 1750 doorcases with Georgian style architraves and staircase, panelling of the cabinet at the top of the staircase, and ground floor hall and main room with Swanage paving stones.
Most complete stair and panelling seen outside town. 
Old Jersey Houses
Oak Farm, Ville ès Gazeaux, St Lawrence, previously known as Les Carrières, presumably a reference to the nearby China Quarries, was known in the 19th century as Bigrel Farm, after its occupants, the Bigrel (or Begurel) family, who first settled in Trinity in the mid 17th century, having arrived in the island from France, probably as Huguenot refugees.
She believed that it was altered substantially in the mid-18th century. Further renovations in the late 20th century revealed a second interior round arch.
The main feature of the property is a benetier, with a sophisticated drainage system running under the floor, across the garden and road to a meadow beyond. The staircase, added during the 18th century is described as one of the finest of its period to survive in Jersey.
She mentions the house again in the Vol Two, noting that its owner was shown as P Bigrel on the 1849 Godfray map. Having previously believed that the east wing may have been of later vintage than the main house, she reverses this view. She comments that the house has the most complete stair and panelling of any house outside the town of St Helier.
It is clear from the history we have been able to piece together here, and in the accompanying family history that the Bigrel family did not build Oak Farm - that happened much earlier than their occupation - but merely gave it their family name for a period. So what it was called before then is a matter for conjecture.
Notes and references
- ↑ It seems unlikely that both these transactions were at open-market prices for exactly the same property
- ↑ Not JNC as shown in OJH or IMC as shown in HER
- ↑ This comment is taken from the reference in OJH. It begs the question 'Seen by whom?' because the author of the books was not allowed to see the inside of many of the historical buildings included in (and overlooked by) her books