73 King Street
The first business known to have traded from No 73 King Street was T Much's bakery and confectionery, which is found in a 1833 trade directory.
In 1851 Umbrella manufacturer Eugene Gondon (38), from Calvados, Normandy, lived with his wife Elizabeth and son Alfred (9) and daughter Eugenie (12) at No 73. Elizabeth appears to be Eugene’s second wife, because Alfred’s mother was Francoise Celina Laurence.
No 73 was unoccupied at the time of the 1861 census and the Gondons had moved to No 77, where Eugene was now trading as a linen draper. Alfred was a bookmaker’s clerk.
In 1871 Alfred Ader, a general dealer in fancy goods, was operating at No 73. Alfred (1841- ) and his brother Emile (1846- ), a watchmaker, had both come to Jersey from Guernsey.
By 1881 Alfred had married Elise Huelin, and they had twin daughters Elise Clarice and Maggie Clarice, born in 1879, and son Emile, who was two years older than his sisters.
The Aders had left by 1891 and in residence were Jane Falle (1832- ) a draper, and fellow draper Ann Luce (1836- ), both of them born in St Mary. We believe that they were sisters Jane and Ann Luce, the daughters of Thomas Luce and Rachel Perree.
The sisters were followed by milliner Harriet Brooks, almost certainly another sister, who was at No 73 for some 30 years, and was herself followed by confectioner Miss M Warren, who was already established when the Occupation started in 1940.
She was followed in 1980 by Leigh Watkins, and then by two jewellery companies.
- 1833 - T Much, baker and confectioner
- 1851 - Eugene Gondon, umbrella manufacturer
- 1871 - Alfred Ader, fancy goods
- 1880-1885 - A Ader, fancy repository
- 1900 - Falle and Luce, drapers
- 1903-1930 - Harriet Brooks, milliner
- 1940-1970 - Miss M Warren, confectioner
- 1980 - Leigh Watkins
- 1990-2000 - G B Jewellers
- 2010 - Bloomsbury jewellers