24 King Street has been part of Voisin's since 1857. Previously it was occupied by a number of drapers. We can find no reference to the premises in the 1833 and '34 commercial directories which usually provide the earliest information about traders.
The Historic Environment Record entry covers the whole of Voisin's King Street buildings: A notable department store, with early 19th century origins, that retains an elegant exterior and defines the streetscape character of this section of King Street.
Francis Voisin founded Voisin and Company as a haberdashery shop at 26 King Street on 15 April 1837. Acquisition of neighbouring properties continued throughout the 19th century. Major refurbishment works were undertaken in 1933.
Principal frontage to King Street, three-storey, six-bay. Front, south elevation: series of pitched slate roofs set back behind decorative parapet. Walls rendered. Heavy, moulded cornice with foliate brackets and dentil course to underside. Bays defined by full height Corinthian pilasters. Second floor windows on west bay have moulded architraves with bracketed sills. First floor windows have eared, moulded architraves with console brackets over.
There is the curved staircase with cast iron balusters in the eastern section - No 24.
A 1937 directory and the 1841 census record the presence of drapers Abraham Le Sueur and William Bell, plus others, and in 1852 Philip John Larbalestier, a linen draper and silk mercer, was listed in the commercial section of the Post Office directory. We have been unable to find any more information about him.
- 1837 - Le Sueur and Co, draper
- 1841 - Abraham Le Sueur, draper; William Bell, draper + other drapers
- 1852 - Philip John Larbalestier, linen draper and silk mercer
- 1857 to date - Voisin's, established 1837 at No 26