No 10 Hill Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

2 Hill Street, St Helier


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Property name

10 Hill Street

Other names

Royal Court Chambers


Hill Street, St Helier

Type of property

Lawyers' offices


No recent transactions

Families and businesses associated with the property

Almanac listings

  • 1874: William Ewans, chimney sweep
  • 1880: Edward Voisin, solicitor; T Le Gallais, advocate; J Balleine, denunciator; James Laurens, commis denunciator; P M Bailhache, solicitor
  • 1886-1895: Attorney-General; Jersey Eastern Railway Company; J A Balleine and James Laurens; Richardson and Roissier, solicitors; J Le Rossignol, accountant; P G Laurens
  • 1895: Jersey Ladies College; A J Dallain
  • 1900: Jersey Eastern Railway, P M Richardson, Jersey Ladies College; P A Roissier; R C Le Sueur; W Marshall
  • 1905-1915: Railway; F E Balleine; P A Roissier; W Marshall; Carnaby Harrower Burnham (1910)
  • 1920: F E Balleine; P A Roissier, Carnaby Harrower Burnham; W Marshall; Sugar Control Office
  • 1925: H C Arthur; P A Roissier; Robin, Jones and Whitman; H S Le Sueurt; W Marshall
  • 1930: Ogier and Le Cornu; T Le Couteur; Robin, Jones and Whitman; Registry of Deeds; W Marshall, Mrs Linane; States Education Office
  • 1935: Ogier and Le Cornu; Richardson and Son; R E Burt; G Fontaine; Robin, Jones and Whitman
  • 1940: Ogier and Le Cornu; Richardson and Son; G E S Fontaine
  • 1950: Ogier and Le Cornu; P N Richardson; Royal Exchange Assurance
  • 1955: D P and P N Richardson; G Gruchy; Ogier and Le Cornu; Royal Exchange Assurance; E J Becquet
  • 1960: J Breakwell; D P Richardson; Commercial Union Assurance; W Davies; Ogier and Le Cornu; E J Becquet; Royal Exchange Assurance; Atlas Assurance
  • 1965-1975: Ogier and Le Cornu; A Clyde-Smith; E J Becquet; S H Longson; K W Syvret (1970)
  • 1980: Ogier and Le Cornu; D P Richardson, J A Clyde-Smith; M C St J Birt; G St C Cornwell; M G Syvret
  • 1990: Judicial Greffe

Census returns

  • 1851: Robert Pow, 47, labourer; Eliza, 44; Thomas, 22, painter. John Gyon, 45, shoemaker; MAry, 46. Thomas Hearne, 37, porter; Minerva, 28; John, Thomas and Selina, Richard Melville, 35, labourer; Anne, 38; John, Ellen and Thomas
  • 1861: Marie Couve, 38, dressmaker; Marie, 8. John Palmer, 42, sailor; Ellen, 40; William, Louisa, Ellen, Alice and John
  • 1871: Helen Spiller, 60, cook; Henry, Lucy and Eliza
  • 1881-1891: Philip Lawrence, 50, draper's assistant; Anna, 40; Elizabeth and Herbert
  • 1901: WilliamMarshall, 53, waiter; Eliuza, 53, dressmaker; Ada, 31, dressmaker

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A good example of a Victorian office building in Italianate style. 10 Hill Street appears to have been built in the 1870s-1880s. The Public Registry records that the property was purchased by Nicholas Falaise from Charles Stirling in 1875, with two subsequent contracts 1878 and 1881 to rectify the boundaries. Charles had inherited a house from Edward Stirling in 1873 with earlier contracts tracing back to 1812, but these most likely refer to a previous building on the site. The building's principal use until 2009 was as offices for advocates.

10 Hill Street is of interest as a Victorian office building, which is particularly notable for its stucco ornamentation in Italianate style, and internal joinery details. The building is five-bay, two-storey with a semi-basement fronted by a sunken courtyard. A glazed third storey was added in the 20th century. There is a rusticated basement level with a moulded string course giving the impression of a plinth. The plain stucco on the upper floors is embellished with ornate moulded and cast decoration. The entrance floor has round headed windows hooded by linked bands of moulded stucco and framed below by a moulded string course - the doorway with additional rusticated jambs.

The upper floors are divided by an acanthus leaf band, the upper storey windows squared with surrounds of incised and embossed stylised flowers and plants linked with bands similarly decorated. The moulded cornice with corbels is surmounted by a parapet wall with further 'mini-corbels' and stylised sheaf motifs. The windows are two-pane wood sashes throughout. The entrance door has two long vertical panels separated by an incised line of beading with a glazed fanlight painted 'ROYAL COURT CHAMBERS 10'. The door is approached via granite steps that bridge the sunken courtyard. The steps are flanked by a simple-pattern arched balustrade with integral bootscrapers. The frontage railings are cast iron with spear finials, set into a bevelled granite base, with matching gateposts. There is an additional external four-panel door beneath the steps.

The interior of the property is characterised by sturdy joinery features including a staircase with turned balusters and continuous curving handrail, deep skirting, wood mantelpieces with ornate corbels and 4-panel doorcases - matching panelling also used beneath the windows and staircase. The entrance hall is subdivided by a pair of glazed doors with large fanlight, leading into the stair hall, separate stairs leading down to the basement. The original attic level of the building has been subsumed into a 20th century extension - including the removal and reconfiguartion of the principal roof trusses - although the apex of the pitched slate roof and a chimney stack are still in place.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs