Maitland Manor

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Maitland Manor, St Clement


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Property name

Maitland Manor

Other names

  • La Maison du Costil
  • Le Manoir d'Elie, to the west of Maitland [1]
  • Maitland (1870)
  • Maitland Farm (1873)
  • Maitland House (1878)


Grande Route de St Clement

Type of property

19th century country house


No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

  • du Costil: The name given in the early Middle Ages to someone who lives on, or at the foot, of a costil (slope or hillside), as in this instance. The earliest bearers of this St Clement name known to us were John and Guillaume, who will have been born in about 1240. John was the father of Roger, and Guillaume the father of a son named John, both sons having been adults at the time of the 1309 Assizes Roll. In the next generation, was Colin du Costil, mentioned in a deed of 1363. The first du Costil from whom a connected descent can be proved, was Guillaume, or Guille, du Costil (1400?- ). His son Drouet (1430?- ) was Denonciateur of the Royal Court, -1462-1465--. He married Michelle de la Rocque, daughter of Guillaume, of St Clement, Jurat and Lieut.-Bailiff, and had a son Thomas, who was Rector of St Martin. Drouet also had two brothers, one of whom was the father of Guille du Costil, Seigneur in 1528, of the St Helier Fief Lempriere, where he had settled, the other being Thomas (1440?- ), father of John du Costil, Advocate of the Royal Court. The Revd. J.A. Messervy, Jersey`s leading historian and genealogist, wrote of the advocate, that he was, he believed, owner of the property now called Maitland, the original du Costil holding. John left two daughters, the eldest of which was his heiress, being Marie, wife of Richard Messervy
  • Messervy: Richard Messervy settled here on his wife`s estate, and was Constable of St Clement, 1553-1556. From his family, the property passed to the families Dumaresq, and then Nicolle
  • Nicolle: The Nicolle owners built the nearby Tower, which bears their name, and from Marie Nicolle, principal heiress of her brother, Lieut.-Colonel Philip Nicolle, H.M. 17th Regiment, the Maison du Costil passed to her son, Philip Nicolle Anley
  • Anley: Philip Nicolle Anley was also an Army officer, a Captain, in 1858 and owner then of this estate. He was married, with five surviving children. He was still living here, as shown by directories, in 1870, when Anley called his property, now including the smart new house, merely "Maitland". It is likely that the same Nicolle who had the means to build the Tower, rebuilt also his family home, called Maitland
  • Cabot: John Francis Cabot, Farmer and Landowner, who had married in 1877 Mary de Veulle, was living here in 1873 and 1878. It was then called, respectively, Maitland Farm and Maitland House [2]
  • Rabet: In 1941 John Francis Rabet (1908- ), his wife Doris Lorraine, nee Herviou (1915- ) and their daughter Sonia Dorothy (1937- ) were living here

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A grand 19th century house, on a site with earlier historical associations, which retains historic character and features.

The property has significant historical status as a manor house, associated with the fief of Elie. Maitland is of historical interest as the manor of a small fief called the Fief Elie. Little is known about its history although there is documentary reference in 1479 to Le Manoir d'Elie.

The Richmond map of 1795 shows an earlier property on the site although there are no visible remains of this surviving and the present house was built in the 19th century (the current name deriving from a family name).

The composition and appearance of the principal building is of architectural interest. It is of relatively grand proportions being five-bay and three-storey, with a hipped slate roof carrying four chimneystacks.

Forming the central entrance is a Doric portico, within which is a doorway with Georgian pattern 'batswing' fanlight. The windows are mainly later replacements.

There is a 19th century two-storey, two-bay east wing which has a veranda with a Regency style lead concave canopy roof.

Further modern extensions on both sides are of limited interest. The interiors have been subject to significant building work but retain an interesting 19th century staircase with an unusual balustrade. The site includes 19th century outbuildings and a granite boundary wall.

Old Jersey Houses

The property is mentioned in Vol One but does not have its own article

Notes and references

  1. Maitland stands to the east of a former manor, Le Manoir d`Elie, which should have been more correctly styled "the seigneurial house" of the Fief d'Elie. Maitland is a good example of a new 19th century house being built by a local man next to, or often in front of, the old house. Stevens, Arthur and Stevens, in Jersey Place Names, Volume 1, 204, write that the St Clement Fieu d`Elie was probably named after Elie Dumaresq, who was living in 1479. It passed, either by sale or inheritance, into the hands of John Perrin who, in 1570, sold it to Helier Messervy, probably the man of this name who was the son of Richard Messervy, above. It was again in Dumaresq hands by 1608, as it was in 1732. The current building has therefore no claim to manorial status
  2. The house itself, long ago separated from the Fief d`Elie, is thus seen to have undergone a rise in status from being Maitland, or Maitland Farm, to Maitland House, and then in the 20th century, like Radier and many other properties, it finally became a manor!
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs