Maison de la Ruette

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Maison de La Ruette, St Ouen


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through


Property name

Maison de La Ruette

Other names

  • La Ruette


La Ruette, St Ouen

Type of property

Farm with 16th century origins


Sold for £1,575,000 in 2006

Families associated with the property



Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Historic farm range including an important house of early origins, retaining historic character and features from various phases of development. The unusual pigsties are also of particular note.

The arched doorway with hollow chamfer and incised cordon is stylistically dated to circa 1550-1600. John McCormack Channel Island Houses suggests the original house to be 15th century.

Comparative evidence shows the house appears to belong to a very few surviving houses that were entered on the north, having lost their rear, south tourelles because of later upgrading - as it seems likely to be the case here. The principal elevation of the house would appear to have been turned to south-facing in the 18th century.

The pigsties are of an unusual and rare design, built into, and under, field 1147. The yface west and comprise a rubble granite wall with a pair of three-stone entrances.

The interior of the main house retains two corbelled fireplaces, but otherwise has been remodelled in the 20th century.

Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Old Jersey Houses

To the west is a wing, undistinguished, but quite probably the older house. It has a stone fireplace and the floor levels and positions of the windows certainly suggest a date earlier than 1790. Hidden behind a porch in the north facade of the main house is a round arch with a design suggesting a date late in the 16th century. It does not seem to be an arch leading to a tourelle staircase and may have been moved from some other position, perhaps at the time of the 1790 rebuilding, or else it is a rare example of a main door on the north, which would have faced the road.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs