Les Prairies Farm

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Les Prairies Farm, Trinity


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org


Property name

Les Prairies Farm

Other names

  • La Cremerie
  • Les Prairies Cottage


Rue des Haies, Trinity

Type of property

18th century farmhouse with c1600 origins. Outbuildings converted to residential


  • Les Prairies Farm sold for £655,000 in 2001
  • Les Prairies sold for £2,750,000 in 2003
  • 2 Les Prairies sold for £365,000 in 2006
  • Les Prairies sold for £1,407,000 in 2007

Families associated with the property

  • Gruchy
  • de Gruchy: Although the property was owned by the Gruchy family in the 18th and 19th centuries, in 1941 a de Gruchy family was living there. Edmund Garnet de Gruchy (1901-1980), his wife Doris May, née Messervy (1909-1999) and their son Derek John (1934- ) were registered here. Also part of the household was Edmund's elder brother Campbell Gordon de Gruchy (1898-1963). Edmund de Gruchy was the Registrar of Trinity and for many years, was Procureur du Bien Public
  • Renault: Also living in part of the property in 1941 were Francis John Renault (1877- ) and his wife Annie Mary, nee Picot (1868- )


Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Farmhouse, principally 18th century with earlier origins and fabric, retaining historic character and features including Jersey round arched doorway.

Farmhouse with likely circa 1600 origins, identified in J McCormack Channel Island Houses. Retains round arched doorway from earlier period with later date inscription. Re-fronted and altered in 18th century; shown on Richmond map 1795. 19th century lean-to extension to rear to create double pile house.

Five-bay two-storey house with attic; with later lean-to rear extension. Dressed granite chimneystacks with thatch dripstones.

Pitched slate roof, with modern dormers to south.

La Cremerie and Les Praries Cottage: Former two-storey farm range, with wing to rear; formerly cow shed. Central carriage throughway with brick arch.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs