Les Peupliers, St Ouen

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Les Peupliers, St Ouen


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org


Property name

Les Peupliers


Chemin de l'Eglise, St Ouen [1]

Type of property

18th century house with rare sundial


No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

  • Moulin: In 1941 Marie Sainte Moulin, nee Georgelin (1893-1975), whose husband Jean died the year before, was living here with her sons John Hedley (1920- ) and Lawrence George (1923- ) An application was made in 1940 to defer John Hedley's military call-up, which was presumably successful

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A fine late 18th century house built with high quality materials and with a rare sundial still in situ; with mid-19th century boulangerie.

Main house built late 18th century; boulangerie built around 1840. At the base of the modern staircase is a reused, very rare early chamfered base stone with a hollow chamfer that is stopped with a cross circa 1400.

Two-storey, five-bay house with single-storey boulangerie attached to west. Pitched slate roof has dressed granite chimneystacks, with thatch dripstones, on east and west gables.

West stack has 18th century slate sundial.

The interior of the house was radically altered in the late 1960s with few original features surviving.

Notes and references

  1. Next door to Les Peupliers Farm
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs