Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Les Colombiers Manor
- Les Colombiers
- St Mary's Manor
- Manoir de Granoire
- Whiteberry Cottage (No 5)
- Greenberry Cottage (No 4)
Rue du Rondin, St Mary
Type of property
Manor house and outbuildings, now divided into five residential units
- No 1 sold for £575,000 in 2006 and £1 million in 2018
- No 2 sold for £500,000 in 2007, £685,000 in 2016 and £685,000 in 2018
- No 4 sold for £550,000 in 2013 and £775,000 in 2021
- No 5 sold for £380,000 in 2001 and £500,000 in 2013
Families associated with the property
- Pipon: In 1616 Jean Pipon, son of Jean, son of Simeon, recalled that his father had bought the fief of Ganoire in 1599. The fief remained in Pipon hands for about two centuries, passing to Nicolas Dorey in 1806 by inheritance.
- De La Mare: The Extente of 1331 records that Jourdain de La Mare held the fief Gounnouaire in St Mary and the name reappears in many contexts and with a wide variety of spellings 
- Dumaresq: The Dumaresqs held the fief and house for many generations, and it then passed to the Arthurs, through the female line.
- Le Cornu: In 1513 Denis Le Cornu of Les Collombiers (sic) stated that he and his predecessors had held the fief of Auvergne of 40 years or more.
- Le Hegarat: During the German Occupation Edward Frank Le Hegarat (1902- ) and his wife Eunice Mary, nee Leonard (1904- ) were living here with their children Edward Arthur (1924- ), Arthur Leonard (1925- ), Eunice Marie (1928- ), Denis Henry (1930- ), Iris (1931- ), Daphne (1933- ), Ivy (1935- ), Margaret (1836- ), Pamela (1938- ) and Fran May (1943- )
- IDM 1739 EDC for Jean Dumaresq and Elisabeth de Carteret of Vinchelez de Bas. 
- RLB - on a gable stone with no date
Historic Environment Record entry
The property has significant historical status as a manor house, associated with the fiefs of Ganouaire and Auvesque. The site has medieval origins.
The restored 15th century colombier is a rare survival. 
The fiefs of Ganouaire (or Ganoire) was mentioned in the Extente of 1331. It appears to have had three colombiers - certainly more than one since 1513. The location of two is known.
The fief and house were for many generations in hands of the Pipon and later the Dumaresq families. The L-plan farmhouse is shown in situ on the 1795 Richmond map, with possible earlier origins.
Associated farm buildings were added to the site throughout the 19th century. In the 20th century the house and outbuildings were converted into units and extended with one of the colombiers restored. Conversion and sub-division into residential units in 1982 with various modern extensions and alterations.
Granite fireplaces appear to have been removed pre-1950s.
Old Jersey Houses
After mentioning the colombiers, the entry in Vol One refers to an Evening Post report in about 1920 recording the death of a Mrs Gaudin, nee Hamon, dauchter of Clement Hamon, great-grandson of Dame Marguerite Pipon of St Mary's Manor House - Le Manoir de Granoire.
An obituary of a Philip Le Feuvre records that he was a great-nephew of Capt Chealier, whose wife Anna was a daughter of the same Clement Hamon, and fourth indescent from Dame Marguerite.
There is no St Mary's Manor because there is no fief of St Mary, but clearly these extracts refer to Les Colombiers. None of the available genealogies shows a Marguerite Pipon at that date and her identity remains a mystery, but she was evidently of sufficient importance for people to claim descent from her about 200 years later. 
The manor occupies a most favourable position above Greve de Lecq and is approached down a drive which turns off the road leading from Le Rondin to Crabnbe
Notes and references
- ↑ There are no authenticated family trees going back anywhere near this early
- ↑ Their first child was baptised in St Mary in 1717. Their marriage not found as there is a gap in the registers between circa 1705 and 1730
- ↑ Colombiers are found only in manor grounds and were a privilege accorded only to the Seigneur of a fief. The principal reason for keeping pigeons was to ensure a source of meat during winter months. The colombier at Les Colombiers Manor is the only one of three colombiers previously on the site to survive. the colombier has a circular plan with the round tower constructed of rubble granite with a single doorway of dressed stonework. The cantilevered stone roof was restored using much of the original stone in the 1960s. The tower is supported on a stone platform.
- ↑ It is possible that she was the Marguerite Pipon (1646-1708) shown in Descendants of Guillaume Pipon and The Pipons of Noirmont married first in 1666 to Thomas Lempriere, son of Jean, and secondly, in 1680, to Jurat Raulin Robin