Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Rue de La Piece Mauger, Vingtaine of Rozel, Trinity
Type of property
The main house is believed to have been built in the early to mid-19th century but the single storey adjoining building may prove to be an 18th century dwelling, if not earlier
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- De Gruchy: The de Gruchy family lived at the nearby Piece Mauger, which was built in 1728 by Thomas de Gruchy (1674-1762) and remained in the family at the end of the 20th century. In 1851 John de Gruchy (46) a schoolmaster and farmer and Thomas' great-great-grandson, lived at Le Houguillon with his wife Sophia, nee Falle, their son and two daughters, and John's father, also named John, and mother Marie, nee de Gruchy. The son, Jean de Gruchy (1828-1865), became a solicitor, having offices in the Royal Square. A second son, born the following year, William Falle de Gruchy, was also a schoolmaster. John died in 1876 and in 1881 Sophie continued to work the farm at the age of 74, assisted by her son and daughter. She died in 1895.
- Renouf: The house was in the Renouf family later because farmer Charles Renouf, his wife Louisa and their family were shown as the occupiers in the 1901 census.
- Martin: In 1924 a will was registered for Marie Louise Martin, living at Le Houguillon, widow of François Marie Jégu.
- Renouard: In 1941 the house was occupied by John Philip Renouard and his wife Elise, nee Renouf.
Historic Environment Record entry
Old Jersey Houses