Le Coin St Ouen

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Le Coin, St Ouen


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org


Property name

Le Coin

Other names

Le Potager: converted outbuildings


Rue du Coin, St Ouen

Type of property

Ornate late-19th century country house


Sold for £1,280,000 in 2009 and, after the property had been divided, part sold for £910,000 in 2013 and the remainder for £595,000 in 2014

Families associated with the property

  • Le Blancq. The land on which the house was built was bought by Gedeon Le Blancq, son of Amice, from Philippe Le Gresley, son of Jean, on 21 January 1761. The datestone below suggests that it took eight years for the house to be completed


  • GLB ♥ ELG 1769 [1] - For Gedeon Le Blancq (1728-1783) and Elizabeth La Gerche (1730-1806)
  • 1891 EJLB ACLC on sundial for Elie Joseph Le Blancq [2] and Augusta Cordelia Le Cerf
  • BR ♥ AHR 1976 - For Bruno and Angela Helen Rioda, on outbuilding

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This highly ornate late three-storey, three-bay 19th century house is a construction of very high quality, with many original features, and gives a great visual lift to its surroundings.

The early arch in the rear north wall and a heavy stone chimney incorporated in the modern house behind lead to the suspicion that the site was bigger and included some very early building before the present house was built.

Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Main house with rear extension, a modern single storey (with room above); single-bay west extension. West stable range (now part of Le Potager) and rear north outbuildings.

Main house with additional gabled porch turret, two large decorated gabled-dormers with French-doors and wrought-iron enclosures. Chimneys with header-decoration. Rusticated stone construction with dressed quoins and decorated two-storey bay window openings.

The central entrance tower has a sundial, and has decorated gable-finials, bargeboard and gutters. Timber door with etched/coloured glass overlight. Two wooden windows in the 'tower' and another wooden opening on front of the structure.

West stable range (Le Potager): slate roof with campanile, squared stone construction with dressed openings.

Rear north wall: an early traditional nine-piece arch with meagre shoulder-stones and hollow-chamfer circa 1500.

The entrance-porch floor is of coloured encaustic-tiles, with an ornate plaster ceiling with rosette above. There is an internal set of secondary doors with acid-etched glass which is cut with flower/hunting scenes (some replaced with clear glass).

The mahogany staircase has a flat-topped handrail, sectional/turned balusters, a very ornate sectional newel-post and applique to risers.

There is the remains of a reused kitchen-range forming a recent fireplace with free-standing grate. The fireplace is a recent arch-topped stone construction.

Old Jersey Houses

Not included

Notes and references

  1. This stone was originally recorded in OJH as 'CLB', and corrected by Frank Le Blancq, a descendant, for the Datestone Register, which wrongly shows Elizabeth as 'Le Gerche'
  2. Grandson of the above
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs