Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Le Catel Farm
Rue de la Falaise, Trinity 
Type of property
19th century farm group
Families associated with the property
De Gruchy: Thomas de Gruchy, third son of Philippe de Gruchy of La Piece Mauger, Trinity, bought this property in 1837, having married in 1830 Douce Renouf, daughter of Thomas, of La Fosse, Rozel, a master mariner. The couple had five children born to them whilst living here, but sold the property after twelve years, in 1849. Thomas, who seems to have seldom been able to make ends meet, was in 1851 farming as a tenant of the Perchard family at nearby Le Ménage, which he nicknamed "Le Menage du Tacher", being the household of many tasks and endeavours. One gathers that he may not have been very industrious. He was afterwards farming, with his family, a couple of small fields near St Martin's Church, supplementing the family income by undertaking various carpentry commissions. Perhaps unsurprisingly, most of his sons went to sea. One who remained ashore, went to university and became a clergyman
- Cabot : By 1883, perhaps from 1849. This remained a Cabot property until recently and was the home of Roy Cabot, a Trinity Constable
- 1701 - On east gable, no initials
Historic Environment Record entry
A late 19th century Jersey farm group, retaining original features and evidence of earlier structures on the site.
On east gable is stone dated 1701 indicating an earlier structure. Five-bay, two-storey main house, two-storey wing to the west, two-storey farm buildings parallel to the main house on the north side.
Vingtaine boundary stone incorporated into curve of roadside wall.
Notes and references
- ↑ The property is on the corner of Rue de la Falaise with Rue du Catel. This is not the same Rue du Catel, Trinity, as the one where another Le Catel property is located