Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Le Bocage House
- Le Bocage
- Le Bocage Cottage
Fonds de Longueville, Grouville
Type of property
Mid-19th century farmhouse
Le Bocage Cottage was sold for £625,000 in 2005 and £860,000 in 2010. It is not clear whether this was the name for the whole property at the time or whether this was a sub-divided element of Le Bocage House
Families associated with the property
- Mourant: The 1901 census showed widowed market gardener Abraham Mourant (1859- ) living here with his daughters Ruby (1889- ) and Florence (1896- ) and sons Ernest (1890- ) and George (1893- ); also shown in the census was Abraham's widowed mother-in-law Amelia Dean (1837- ) who was listed as a housekeeper and was presumably looking after her grandchildren. Dean was her maiden name because Abraham's wife was Minerva Amelia Benham, known as Milly. Abraham was the son of Philippe and Jeanne, nee Ahier. We have not yet been able to fit the family into any of our trees.
- Jones: Hindley Charles Jones, who from 1945 to 1957, was Manager of Lloyds Bank, Conway Street, and his wife Yvette, lived at Le Bocage House with their family; a girl and four boys. They later downsized to Le Vallonet, which they had built on adjoining Le Bocage land.
Hindley and Yvette came to Jersey very soon after Liberation, having left Paris hastily in June 1940, with their four -year-old twins and another child expected, and after a nomadic few years in wartime England. They moved to Le Bocage House in 1958, from their first Jersey home, Greengates in Samares Lane.
The youngest of 12 children, Hindley (1897-1978) lost his father at the age of 5. Fortunately, the family’s City of London Company of Clothworkers’ connections enabled him and two of his siblings to receive a good education at the City of London Freemen’s Orphans School in Brixton, now called the City of London Freemen`s School.
In 1915, aged 18, Hindley joined the London Regiment and served in the trenches for a year before being recruited by the Royal Flying Corps and then returning to France as a pilot in the rank of Second Lieutenant. By 1918 he’d returned to England and on the day the war ended he was a Lieutenant, attending the Midland Area Flying Instructors’ School, in Lilbourne, Northamptonshire. He left what had become the Royal Air Force in 1923.
Hindley met his wife, Yvette (1904-1976) in Paris, where she worked as a dress designer for a Parisian fashion house. Yvette’s mother was French and her father English. Hindley and Yvette married in 1934, had twins in 1935, and three more boys (1940, 1942 and 1946).
Tragedy struck on 26 September 1941 when Yvette’s parents, who’d been stranded in France for a year caring for an elderly relative, were returning via Lisbon to England. Their ship, the SS Avoceta, was torpedoed and they lost their lives near the Azores.
Historic Environment Record entry
This mid-late 19th century house sits pleasantly, hard on to the road, at the bottom of the hill. It retains its historic character and contributes to the streetscape.
Two-storey, five-bay farmhouse with single-storey, three-bay wing to north.
Old Jersey Houses