Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Tombette Farm Tombette Cottages
Rue d'Olive, St Mary 
Type of property
Early house dating to the 14th century
The three cottages adjoining the property has changed hands several times in recent years at prices ranging from £480,000 in 2006 to £830,000 in 2021
Families associated with the property
- PRD ♥ MBP 1816 - For Philippe Rondel and Marie Blampied, who married in St John in 1808 
- CLF ♥♥ MAL 1995 - For Charles and Mary Anne Le Feuvre
Historic Environment Record entry
A house of early origins retaining historic character and some rare and distinctive stonework, contributing to the rural setting. The house displays Jersey’s vernacular tradition in the use of local materials and details, including a round arched doorway, tourelle and moulded window chamfers.
A very early house, evidence pointing to a pre-Reformation date for the origin of the property, circa 14th century, with later 16th and 19th century phases.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Farm group. Two-storey house with six irregular bays, with converted outbuilding to west.
There is a datestone on the lintel of an outbuilding.
Old Jersey Houses
The author perhaps misled by the previous grey stucco finish and 1816 datestone, this very old property did not make it into Volume One, but it does feature in the second volume.
- "The facade has now been stripped and reveals nicely coloured dressed stone blocks. The fenestration is irregular, some window surrounds being early, and all having been heightened. Those which have retained their complete chamfered surrounds are unusually large and the chamfer is lightly moulded, as on some round arches.
- "There is evidence of a tourelle in two adjacent chamfered doorways in the north wall, with remnants of a doorway above them on the first floor, and a portion of a newel step found on the property. On the ground floor is a fireplace with deeply moulded corbels and concave-convex chamfering on the uprights. This house is probably unique in having six chamfer stops in the form of a cross, a feature which must give it a pre-Reformation date in origin"
Notes and references
- ↑ OJH gives the address as Rue d'Enfer, which is at the back of the property in neighbouring St John
- ↑ The datestone is not mentiond in OJH. The datestone register suggests that it may be for Rondel and Blampied. The identity of the couple has been confirmed from our database. They had three daughters and after Marie's death in 1826, Philippe married for a second time, to Mary Ann Pirouet (1816-1881)