La Sarsonnerie

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

La Sarsonnerie, St John


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

This early 20th century photograph shows the property before it was restored. What is somewhat mysterious is that, although it shows the beginning of the dower wing to the left, it does not show the converted outbuilding to the right, which may, therefore, have been a relatively recent addition

Property name

La Sarsonnerie

Other names

Don Farm


Rue de l'Etocquet/Rue des Landes junction, St John

Type of property

Early farmhouse, circa 1600


Sold for £1,750,000 in 2003

Families associated with the property


  • NR SDP 1675 - On fireplace for Nicolas Richardson and Sara du Parcq
  • JBR ACT 1881 - On window lintel. This stone is a mystery. It has been interpreted by the Datestone Register and HER as representing Joseph Barette and Ann Coutanche, but the Joseph associated with the stone married Ann Amy. The only marriage between a Barette and a Coutanche was that of Jean Barette and Anne Coutanche in St Helier in 1844
  • 19 JBS AMRD 32 - for John Bisson and Agnes Maud Rondel

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This is a fine example of an early farmhouse with stonework features externally and internally - the fireplaces of rare quality and design. The farmstead is a cohesively developed whole and contributes to the rural, roadside setting. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Circa 1600. Previously Don Farm.

Two granite fireplaces, one ground floor and one above on first floor (since reinstated from Jersey Museum). Ground floor shield on lintel 1673. First floor fireplace, older, with cross, chalice and flower chamfer stops, being chamfered on both sides of the uprights.

Two-storey, five- bay house. Two-bay Dower Cottage wing to west. To east is two-storey converted outbuilding. To south is outbuilding, Sarsonniere Cottage.

Nine-stone arch with outer row of voussoirs.

Old Jersey Houses

An entry in Volume One notes that two fireplaces from the property were in Jersey Museum in the 1960s, having been found in about 1930, dismantled and lying under a heap of turnips in the farmyard. They had been discovered under plaster in 1913.

The property passed by inheritance from Nicolas Richardson, who is recorded on the 1675 stone, to his granddaughter Sara, and then to her cousin Nicolas Richardson, whose son Nicolas sold it to John Barette, whose descendant sold it to Josue Barette in 1890

Notes and references

Photographs of two fireplaces in the house before restoration. These pictures must have been taken after the fireplaces were uncovered in 1913, but before they were removed to be discovered dismantled in the farmyard 27 years later

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs