Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Morville Manor 
Rue des Corvees, L'Etacq, St Ouen
Type of property
Historic farm group with high quality stonework
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
Historic Environment Record entry
A historic farm group including a high quality house constructed of the very best materials. The quality of the stonework and finish, the order and balance of the facade is good mannered architecture at its best.
A fine survival of a late 19th century interior (including unusual medieval-revival ceiling).
Main house with rear service wing extension and stair-tower; north stables/outbuildings and west stables/outbuildings.
The heavy mahogany staircase has a flat topped handrail, turned balusters and chunky newel-post with a carved finial of circa 1890. Within the stair enclosure there is highly ornate plaster ceiling detailing and a stained glass window, all of circa 1890. A most unusual medieval-revival style ceiling survives in one of the reception room of circa 1890, also in this room is a late 19th century marble chimney piece.
Old Jersey Houses
'A fief called Le Querpentier appears in the Terrier de St Ouen for 1721, and belongs to this property. it then belonged to Francois Ricard, who married Rachel d'Auvergne. Pierre Ricard had been mentioned as de la maison de la Robeline in about 1640, and it is possible that it remained in the Ricard family until Elizabeth Le Breton became a widow when her first husband Francois Ricard, Rector of St Ouen, died in 1823. He had married her only four years previously, when he was 66.
'She then married Philip du Heaume, who probably owned a house called Gros Chene, which was in ruins in 1906. In 1828 he was said to be seigneur en partie of the fief habuter of St Ouen, and at about this time he bought the fiefs of Morville, Robillard and Les Douze Mancels from Jean La Gerche.
'He was sworn in as Constable of St Ouen in 1836, and narrowly defeated three years later. He stood again in 1845 and gained a narrow victory against Daniel Dumaresq. But he abandoned his advantage and Dumaresq became Constable.
'The present house is of no great age; a gable stone of 1755 has been inserted high up in th east wall, but it is not contemporaneous. There appear to have been several houses built here in different centuries.
'A dog kennel in a low wall in the farmyard was used by the then owner, Mr Bechelet, to store the valuables of a friend who was deported to Germany during the Occupation.