Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Rue de La Frontiere, St Mary
Type of property
Georgian style former farmhouse with unusual wing. Although La Frontiere was certainly a working farm in the second half of the 19th century, and probably well into the 20th, is was built very much in the style of a Jersey 'cod house', and the history below of the Collas family, who owned and lived in it, suggests that most of their wealth was derived from the cod trade with North America.
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Collas: Our research suggests that La Frontiere was built in 1864 by John Collas (1825- ) who was married to Jane Le Rossignol (1832- ) in 1854. They had nine children. The absence of names for properties in the early censuses makes it difficult to be certain, but it seems likely that the Collas family had lived in an earlier house on the same site, or very near by, for several generations. The house was not known as La Frontiere when it was built, but took its name from the road.
- The 1861 census shows John's parents, Jean and Carterette, nee Vibert, living in the district with John's younger brothers Elias,  Edward  and George . Another brother, Daniel Dumaresq, a long-distance sea captain, was probably away at sea when the census was held.
- In 1871 Jean, now widowed and retired from farming, was living with Edward, who had taken over the farm, and James, the youngest son, an agent. Next door, presumably in the recently constructed house, were John, a merchant, and Jane and their nine children.
- In 1881 the household was much the same; John and Jane, seven of their children and John's merchant brother James. John was described as a landed proprietor of 30 acres.
- In 1891 John was still a landed proprietor, but also listed as a ship owner. He and Jane still had six children, ranging in age from 36 down to 25, living with them, as well as James, now described as a fish merchant. The youngest son, Walter, was described as a merchant in Canada. Eldest son John Elias was running the family farm.
- John Elias did not marry until his late 40s. In 1901 he was living at La Frontiere with his brother Wyndham, a solicitor's clerk, and sister Mary. By 1911 John Elias had been married for seven years to Hilda Constance Balleine, the daughter of St Lawrence Rector Adolphus Orange Balleine.
- Toudic: The Toudic family living at La Frontiere in 1941 were Jeanne Marie Toudic, née Dauphin, (1882- ) and her son Julien (1924- ) and daughter Roselle (1925- )
1864, no initials, on arch
Historic Environment Record entry
Historic farm group. The mid-19th century house, with its unusual Dutch gabled wing, retains its character and historic features externally, in particular the front porch and doorcase. The house, with the outbuildings, create a cohesive group. The whole contributes to the rural setting.
La Frontiere displays the polite architecture of Georgian fashion. Two-storey, five-bay house, two-bay wing to west, two-storey, single bay wing to east.
To north east is L-shape range of converted outbuildings with 20th century garage block to north east corner. Detached to south east is 20th century block, west of which are remains of a conservatory.
Flat roof entrance porch with arched windows. Central stair arched window which has margin lights and coloured glass.