Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Rue de Bas, St Lawrence
Type of property
Mid-19th century house
Families associated with the property
- The house was owned before World War Two by Brigadier General Andrew Frederick Annesley, who left it to his wife Marjorie Harriet. She, in turn, left it to their daughter Elizabeth Young, wife of Major Maris Theo Young, in the 1950s, but the house was used by the Germans during the Occupation and the family never returned
- Hacquoil: In 1941 Stanley Hacquoil (1910- ) and his wife Lily May, nee Burston (1916- ) were living here
Historic Environment Record entry
A mid-19th century rural house retaining original features and character, La Fontenelle was built sometime between 1827 and 1855. It may have been built using materials from an earlier outbuilding belonging to Clairmont, a house to the west.
Two-storey, five-bay house. Porch at centre with slender Doric order columns and moulded cornice. Panelled door reveal. Extension on east side. Stone boundary walls, rusticated ashlar gate pillars.
Elegant staircase all the way to the attic, with a small round mahogany rail curled on the newel at the foot of each rise and neatly turned banisters (all circa 1830), and other woodwork, including door cases, of this period. Marble fireplaces and cast iron grates added around turn of 20th century.