Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Route de Millais, St Ouen
Type of property
Country house with 17th century origins, refronted in the 18th century
The property was sold for £670,000 in 2006
Families associated with the property
It is difficult to be certain which families lived at which La Fontaine in 1941, because the properties are shown either as La Fontaine, St Ouen or La Fontaine, Millais, descriptions which could apply equally to at least three properties. However, we believe that those shown as living at La Fontaine, Millais, probably lived in this property:
- Prouten: Frank Percy Prouten (1902- ), his wife Adelaide Marie Noel Prouten, nee Le Garignon (1905- ) and their children Frank Edward (1926- ) and Joyce Margaret
Historic Environment Record entry
House of 17-18th century origins retaining historic character and a number of original features, including the fine fireplace and roof timbers.
Two-storey, five-bay house of squared stone construction, with enlarged dressed stone shouldered openings, circa 1730. The west gable is constructed with random stone and is clearly earlier than the re-fronted south facade.
Central entrance. The only original feature visible (possibly due to boarding-out) is the 17th century stone fireplace on the west gable. Its left side uprights, corbel and shoulder stone are original but the left side corbel, shoulder stone and the lintel may be restored. It is high to the ceiling indicating that this room may originally have been open without ceiling.
There is a wide rough stone opening into the rear extension (once a back door). In the roofspace are the remains of the original pegged A-frame timbers.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Old Jersey Houses
Not included, despite its 17th century origins