Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Rue de la Bachauderie, St Martin
Type of property
17th century two-storey house with older dower wing
Families associated with the property
- Le Couteur
- Ahier: In 1901 farmer Charles Edgar William Ahier (1856- ) and his wife Marie Susanne, nee Le Riche, were living here, having moved from La Queruee, St Martin. Charles was born in London
- Fauvel: In 1941 George Francis Fauvel (1870- ) and his wife Clarissa Elina, nee Noel (1878- ) were living here
- 1698 TS MC
- 1640 - the possible date of a second stone
Historic Environment Record entry
This 1698 house (with earlier origins) retains its historic proportions to the four bays with fine stonework. Internally the presence of fine fireplaces on both the ground and first floor is very significant.
The principal house is considered to have 15th century origins, re-fronted in 1698 as evidenced by the dated kneelers. Research by J McCormack also suggests evidence of stone tourelle staircase. This building is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Two-storey wing to west (raised from single storey) and rear wing to roadside. 20th century single storey wings to east.
Walls are squared random stone rubble with long quoins of early type. Early long-and-short pattern stonework to windows, historically heightened. Doorway in second bay, with chamfered surround and straight lintel. West wing extends to roadside, with random granite rubble on ground floor and rendered first floor. Southwest corner has moulded gable kneeler at first floor level, and wheel kickstone.
Later single storey extension at rear across full width, and two-storey gabled extension to central bay with granite-columned porte-cochere (the columns re-used from Minden Street market when demolished).
Old Jersey Houses
A brief entry in Volume One refers to the 1698 gable stone and suggests that another on the west wing may be engraved 1640. An addendum suggests that the house was sold in 1700 by Thomas Messervy to Clement Le Couteur, although this appears to be at odds with the 1698 stone's initials.