Haie Fleurie

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Haie Fleurie, St Martin


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org


Property name

Haie Fleurie

Other names

Haie de Fleury - as recorded in the 1901 census


Rue du Villot, St Martin

Type of property

19th century farmstead with possible 15th century origins for the main house. The property is home to an important equestrian centre owned by the Binet family, who claim that it dates back to the 14th century


No recent transactions

Families associated with the property


Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This long building, gable on to the road, contributes to its rural setting. The houses each have historic features related to their historic development. The early house retains its plan with the tourelle position and fireplaces, in addition beams and partitioning remain internally and the arch and stonework externally.

In the dower house internal joinery is retained. The whole retains its integrity as a developing group. This building is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

The original house is considered to date from the 15th century with re-fronting to the west section in the early 19th century.

Line of three interconnected buildings, east gable to road. Central three-bay; west wing three-bay; east wing six-bay.

Central entrance round arch with double voussoirs, large chamfered jambs with chamfer stops. Windows to east of arch are irregularly positioned with accolade lintels on two, and chamfered cills on three. Other windows are regularly lined up.

Central section: central entrance, double pile. Hallway through to outshot. Enclosed stair, in position of tourelle. Board partitions. Chamfered beams. Six-panel door to ground floor west room. Ground floor east room: corbelled granite fireplace. Large, rough hewn, chamfered beam in centre. Ground floor west room: fireplace, but small corbels supporting timber beam on line of wall. Large chamfered beam in centre with stop ends to south.

First floor west room has 1960s fireplace with evidence of corbelled fireplace behind.

Old Jersey Houses

An entry in Volume One is uncertain about whether the house has, or had, a tourelle. It refers to the ownership of the Whitley family, but offers no suggestions as to the age of the property

Notes and references

  1. Her husband Elie was shown in our family tree as dying in 1902 but that was clearly incorrect. We have not been able to find a burial date for him
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs