Origin of Surname
The family originated at Grouchy, near Carentan, on the borders of the Cotentin and Bessin in Lower Normandy.  The name is Viking in origin, probably derived from the old Norse personal name Geirolfr, (Spearwolf) and ey, (Norse for `Isle` or 'Island'), making a place name, 'Spearwolf's Isle' or 'Island', at the time of the Viking settlements in what would become Normandy. The first syllable in the name of the Jersey parish of Grouville is thought to be of similar origin. The family`s initial place of settlement is believed to have been in the former marshlands adjoining the Douve estuary, at Brevands, between Isigny and the above mentioned Carentan.
Early records in Normandy
In 1090, Raulon de Grouchy, (Raulonus de Grocei,) granted to the Abbey of St Sauveur le Vicomte tithes on his land in Houesville. In the same year, Geoffroy de Grouchy, (Godefridus de Grocei,) did likewise, on his land in nearby Bouteville, both parishes being near Carentan 
The knights Guillaume and Nicolas de Grouchy followed Robert Courteheuse, Duke of Normandy, on the First Crusade and were present in 1099, at the Fall of Jerusalem. 
In 1195, Robert de Grouchy, (Robert de Groceio,) Knight, was Castellan of Bayeux. 
In 1248, the Crusaders, Robert and Henri de Grouchy, Knights, were sent by the King of France on a mission to Egypt, whilst Henri`s descendant, Jehan de Grouchy (1355-1435), Sieur de Monteraullier, a veteran knight who had been a French prisoner at Agincourt, avenged himself at Harfleur, routing the Town`s English garrison, whilst perishing in the hour of victory. 
Early records in Jersey
Hugh de Grouchy, (Hugo de Groceio), who witnessed a deed in Rouen in 1066, was recorded as being responsible in 1089 for the collection of taxes and administration of justice in the four central parishes of Jersey that constituted the Ministerium de Groceium, (the place-name Grouchy). His descendants, or heirs, did not seem to have been always resident in the Island, perhaps as these early medieval offices could be purchased and sold, which appears to have occurred in this instance, by 1180, when Roger Godel is recorded as being the minister. Deputies could also be appointed by the holders, or ministers, of such offices, of which there were three in total.
The family had more substantial seigneuries in mainland Normandy, to which they also gave their name. The Jersey Fief de Gruchy, or Grochy, held in capite, directly from the Crown, which is situated in the north of Trinity, from the terms of its tenure, certainly dates from this epoch.
In the Assize of 1299 two Richard de Gruchys are mentioned, one the son of a priest. In the 1309 Assize Roll Geoffroy, Richard, Etienne and Guillaume de Gruchy are mentioned. The latter was fined for bringing an action hors de la Royaume, presumably at the Ecclesiastical Court of Coutances, Normandy, which heard cases involving inheritance, against Colin de Laundes and Jean de Barentin.
As the latter is mentioned in 1382 as having been a previous holder of the Fief de Gruchy, the historian Guy Fortescue Burrell de Gruchy considered it likely that the dispute had involved that fief, which bears evidence of having been subsequently divided. The Fief de la Gruchetterie, the north-eastern half of the apparently divided fief, eventually passed, prior to 1515, to the de St Martin family, whose successors were the Lemprieres of Dielament.
Between 1338 and 1345, when Mont Orgueil Castle was under attack from the French, Rauf (Radulphus) de Gruchy, was among the defenders. In 1440, Philippot de Gruchy is mentioned as acting on behalf of his wife in a legal transaction. Clement de Gruchy of Trinity was ordained deacon at Coutances in 1490 and priest in 1491.
Rauf de Grochie and Guillemet de Grochie are mentioned in a deed of 1402, at the Jersey Archive, as being tenants of the Fief de la Trinité, in the west of the parish, Guillemet being a variant of Guillaume. If he or his son was the "Guillaume Grouchye" who bought in 1439, from Thomas de St Martin, two fields on the same fief, as might well be expected, then the link between the de Gruchy and Gruchy families will have been discovered, as one of these was described as being to "the north-east of Grouchye`s house". The house will have been Champs Clairs, a property long associated with the Gruchy family and, in particular, the Descendants of Rauff Gruchy. The fields are no doubt those retaining the name Clos Gruchy (T.340 and 1299), which are a few hundred metres to the north-east of the house.  Historians have long accepted that the two families were of identical origin. Nonetheless, the branches of de Gruchy and Gruchy developed separately from this date. 
Robin de Gruchy, born about 1360, is mentioned as the eldest son in a `partage`, or property division, dated 1397. His co-heirs were Jean and Guillaume de Gruchy, who was, in all likelihood, the Guillaume mentioned above, in 1402, and an unnamed sister, married to Collas Carré. Robin, who was also mentioned in surviving deeds of 1420 and 1423, in both of which his name was spelt de Grouchy and 1437, is the earliest de Gruchy from whom modern members of the family can trace their ancestry with any degree of certainty. His family has long been associated with La Chasse, in the east of Trinity.
In the form de Gruchy, the family has given to the Island`s service three Jurats, one of whom was a Lieutenant-Bailiff, seven constables, two deputies, two Deputy-Viscounts and two rectors, one of St Lawrence, the other of St Peter. Prior to the Reformation, there was the "Priest de Gruchy" (1299) and Sire Clement de Gruchy of Trinity (1491). In 1819, the Rev. Jean de Gruchy of St John, after having been "for several years the minister of a French Independent Congregation", was ordained in the Baptist Church. He was, at a later date, a Swedenborgian minister of the New Church.
Members of the family have also served as clerics beyond the confines of the Island, in England, France and North America. The Rev. Martin de Gruchy was both schoolmaster and Perpetual Curate of the Chapelries of Elstead and Seale in 18th century Surrey, whilst the Rev. George de Gruchy was, in the 19th century, Rector of Little Bealings, Suffolk and was then Vicar of Stoke St Millburgh, Shropshire. Matthieu de Gruchy, a Jersey privateersman converted to Roman Catholicism, was ordained in France and became Vicar of Beauvoir-sur-Mer, in the Vendée. He was executed by a French revolutionary firing squad in 1797. In Canada, the Rev Philippe de Gruchy was Rector of Milton Sheppard, Quebec, and the Rev Edouard de Gruchy became, in 1876, Pastor of the First French Methodist Church, Montreal. He was afterwards a United Church of Canada minister and author. His brother Thomas was a Baptist minister in Connecticut and New York.
Payne's Armorial of Jersey
The arms of de Gruchy and Gruchy are identical, namely "Or, a fretty of six pieces, azure"
There are few, if any, surnames for which so many variations in spelling can be found in Jersey records.
|de Groschie||de Grochie||de Grouchy||de Gruchy,1695|
|Gruchy||de Grouchie, 1397||Grochie||Grochye|
|de Groschy, 1510||de Grochy, 1461-78, 1504||de Grouchy, 1420, 1515||Grouhy 1515|
|de Grochie, 1461-78||de Grussy, c1340||de Grochee||de Grouche, 1309|
|de Groceio: The surname in Latin, 1089-1250||Groceium: The place name in Latin, pre-1250|
This is the most comprehensive set of trees for any Jersey family. It is based upon the trees in the 2000 book The de Gruchys of Jersey, (Second Edition), by Walter Le Quesne and Guy Dixon. The trees were substantially updated, enlarged and more detail added by Guy during from 2017 onwards, and remain under review.
Descendants of Thomas DeGrish/DeGrish of Trinity, Newfoundland: Was this a Jersey family?
These records may still contain some for the Gruchy family, but we hope that we have now separated the two names
- De Gruchy baptisms in Jersey
- De Gruchy marriages in Jersey (groom)
- De Gruchy marriages in Jersey (bride)
- De Gruchy burials in Jersey
Ships, shipowners and ships' captains
Family histories and biographies
Abraham de Gruchy, his businesses and his successors
- Abraham de Gruchy, one of Jersey's most successfull businessmen of all time ...
- The de Gruchy family business after Abraham... and the family members who succeeded him
|The de Gruchy Family, a history by the Rev J A Messervy||Guy Fortescue Burrell de Gruchy: Medieval Historian of Jersey, President and Benefactor of La Société Jersiaise|
|William Laurence de Gruchy: Founder of La Société Jersiaise||Matthieu de Gruchy: Privateer and Roman Catholic priest, shot as a spy|
|Martin de Gruchy: Solicitor and Jersey's first notary public||Francis Arthur Labey de Gruchy: Indian Army and French Foreign Legion officer|
|Brehm de Gruchy: An emigrant to Canada at the age of 14||The Rev Thomas de Gruchy: Baptist minister in North America Added 2020|
|Dr Alfred Nicolle de Gruchy: Colonial Service doctor Added 2020||James Henry Ball de Gruchy: Military and environmental scientist Added 2020|
|William de Gruchy: Settler in Virginia after the murder of his master mariner father by Nicaraguan bandits||Gordon Carl de Gruchy: World-famous Australian physician and haematologist Added 2021|
Great War service
- De Gruchy family members who served in World War 1
- Presentation to Sergeant Francis Philip de Gruchy, MM, at the Town Hall
- Presentation to Private William Philip de Gruchy, MM, at the Town Hall
|Beau Parcq, Trinity||Beechfield, Trinity||Blanche Pierre, Trinity||Brabant Farm, Croiserie, Trinity|
|Cambrai, Trinity||Carmel Farm, Rozel, Trinity||Clos Durell, Trinity||Greenfield, Trinity|
|Haute Vue, Trinity||Hautmont, St John||L`Abri des Hougues formerly Les Hougues, Trinity||La Carriere, Longueville, Grouville|
|La Chasse, Trinity, La Profonde Rue, Trinity||La Croiserie, Trinity||La Croix, Croiserie, Trinity||La Fevrerie, Maufant, St Saviour|
|La Forge, Trinity||Langley House, Rectory Lane, St Saviour||Laurel Cottage, St Saviour||Laurel Lands, Maufant, St Saviour|
|Laurel Lands Farm, Maufant, St Saviour||Le Catel, Route des Côtes du Nord, Rozel, Trinity||Le Catel, Rue de la Falaize, Trinity||Le Catel, Trinity|
|Le Houguillon, Trinity||Les Fontaines, Rondin, Trinity||Les Prairies, Trinity||Les Vaux, Trinity|
|Little Grove, St Lawrence||Maison du Buisson, Maufant, St Saviour||Maufant Farm, St Saviour||Meadow Court, St Mary|
|Noirmont Manor, St Brelade||Oakfield Farm, aka Bannelais House, Trinity||Piece Mauger, Trinity||Profonde Rue, Trinity|
|Rochebois, St Aubin||Sous Les Bois, Trinity||Springfield House, Croiserie, Trinity||Surville Farm, Queruée, St Martin|
|The Elms (La Mare), St Mary||The Grove, St Lawrence||Ville Machon, Rozel, Trinity||Whitton Grange, St John|
De Gruchy family of South Africa (circa 1914). Standing: Harold Linklater de Gruchy, Constance Havergill de Gruchy, Frederick Abram de Gruchy (father), Albert Philip de Gruchy, Gladys Mary de Gruchy. Seated: Doris Lillian de Gruchy, Frederick de Quetteville de Gruchy, Ivor Alan de Gruchy, Mary Irish (mother), Ethel May de Gruchy, Aubin Ewald de Gruchy; (Dr and Mrs de Beer, South Africa)
Charles de Gruchy (1864-1919), with his wife Alice Lavinia, nee Roberts, and the ten of their 12 children who survived infancy. Charles emigrated to Australia before 1890 and married Alice, who was born in Cornwall. Charles was born in Lewes Sussex, the son of Francis de Gruchy (1838-1869), of St Martin, Jersey, and Mercy Piper (1841-1877), of Sussex; (The de Gruchy family, Safety Bay, WA)
Newspaper report of the retirement from Jersey Customs of Herbert William de Gruchy
A funeral card for Philip de Gruchy's wife Rachel, nee Renouf, who died in 1914 at the age of 60
Occupation curfew cards
- A de Gruchy and Co
- [[No 2 King Street|E C de Gruchy, tobacconist and fancy good retailer at 2 King Street
- [[No 10 King Street|Matthew de Gruchy was a draper at 10 King Street from 1861 to 1880
- John de Gruchy was in business at 64 King Street as a boot and shoe maker in the 1830s and '40s
- Allix and de Gruchy were in business at 74 King Street as gents' outfitters in the 1930s and '40s, followed by E Allix to 1955.
- [[70 years of Halkett Place - Part 4#No 35|Butcher Thomas Charles de Gruchy was in business at 35 Halkett Place in the 1850s, having been tavern keeper of the Old Jersey Inn in the 1840s
- [[70 years of Halkett Place - Part 4#No 36|J de Gruchy ran a shoemaking business at 36 Halkett Place from the late 1870s through to the 1900s. George W. Croad, in A Jersey Album, 199, gives shoemaker John de Gruchy as being at 63, Halkett Place. In the 1851 census, the firm employed 30 men
- Philip de Gruchy ran a grocery at 35 Queen Street in the 1860s
The banner on this charabanc reads 'Success to the Old Boys - J V de Gruchy'. It is not clear exactly what the occasion was. J V de Gruchy was John Vernon de Gruchy, born in St Helier in 1879, the son of John de Gruchy and Maria Whittenbury. His father was a builder and a ship's carpenter, and John Vernon was described as a carpenter when he married Alice Mary de Gruchy in 1902
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form
Notes and references
- ↑ This area was ancient marshland with scattered settlements, adjoining the Baie des Veys, between Carentan and Isigny, where four river estuaries meet. The rivers are the Douve and La Taute near Carentan, and La Vire and L`Aure near Isigny. At Brevands there is the hamlet and former fief named Grouchy. All but two of the Lower Norman place names Grouchy or Gruchy are situated within 50 kilometres of Brevands, which forms the centre, or hub, of the `wheel of settlement` or rather, of fief acquisition, whether by grant, marriage or by other means. See also the Jersey Fief de Gruchy
- ↑ De Lisle, Histoire de St Sauveur le Vicomte, (Valognes, (1867), 52, 54
- ↑ Dumoulin, Histoire de Normandie..
- ↑ F. M. Powicke, The Loss of Normandy (1189-1204), (University of Manchester, Historical Series, No. XVI, 1913), 110, citing Stapleton, 265, 272. He was no doubt the Robert de Grouchy, Knight, who witnessed in 1197, with his fellow-knight, Thomas de Grouchy, a deed which was until the Second World War preserved among the deeds of St Lo, in Normandy. The deed, in Latin, which was deposited in the Abbey of St Lo, recorded a donation made to the said church, witnessed by the two knights
- ↑ The statue of Jehan de Grouchy, who was given the nickname "Le Père des Cauchois," is to be seen to this day in Harfleur, in the Place Jehan de Grouchy
- ↑ ABSJ, IV, 422
- ↑ The two names have become so confused in Jersey's church records that we originally listed them all under 'de Gruchy/Gruchy' in our database. Having decided that this was unhelpful to those wishing to establish with certainty whether their ancestors were Gruchys or de Gruchys, we painstakingly separated the database records.
Many online trees start with the correct family name in later generations but drift backwards into the other. There are numerous instances over the centuries of a Gruchy and a de Gruchy with the same given name having children at the same time, leading to confusion and resulting inaccurate descents.
Our de Gruchy trees have all been researched and checked many times over many years by the foremost authority on the family, Guy Dixon, whose mother was a de Gruchy. We are as confident as it is ever possible to be that the two family names are correctly separated in our database and family trees.
- ↑ Not Elizabeth Emma as shown in online trees
- ↑ These cards are held by Jersey Archive. Visit The Archive online catalogue for more information. A subscription may be needed to view some of the site's content