Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Rue des Buttes, St Mary
Type of property
17-18th century farm group
Families associated with the property
- Le Marquand
- Allo: Alfred Allo was farming here during the German Occupation and submitted an Agricultural War Claim in 1943
- IRM EBL - Roughly cut with no date, for Jean Remon and Elizabeth Belin, who married in St Mary on 19 February 1693
- IRM RGD 1747 - For Jean Remon and Rachel Grandin 
- DG♥♥RB 1711 - Not attributed
- Nic 1830
- HVB ADLP 183? - Lintel for Helier Vibert and Anne de la Perrelle, who married in St Mary on 14 March 1811
- SLMQ♥♥JEPA 1848 - For Samuel Le Marquand (St P) and Jeanne Françoise Priaux (St B) who married on 20 December 1838
Historic Environment Record entry
Historic farm group. The 17th and 18th century row of buildings, with the 19th century outbuildings, form a cohesive group which contributes to the roadside setting. The group retains its historic proportions and character. Chestnut Farm displays Jersey’s vernacular tradition in the use of local materials and details, whilst emulating the polite architecture of Georgian fashion with a continuing local character.
Particularly distinctive features are the cider house (found in north-west France and south-west England).
The eastern section is considered to be early 17th century and the western section early 18th century. McCormack identifies a tourelle of medieval origin. The building is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
A school was held in the west room by the Misses Agnes until 1912.
Old Jersey Houses
Notes and references
- ↑ Marriage record not found