Mont de la Rosiere, St Saviour
Offered for sale at £12 million - date uncertain
Type of property
Substantially extended house claimed to have 17th century origins
Families associated with the property
- Lord Cromer was the owner in the 1970s
- Socialite and millionairess widow Lady Houston lived here until she died in 1936
Historic Environment Record entry
Not shown as a listed building
Old Jersey Houses
This substantial St Saviour property, set in nearly 15 acres, is something of a mystery.
It does not appear to be a listed property, was not mentioned in either volume of Old Jersey Houses yet was claimed to date back to 1640 when advertised for sale internationally in the 2010s. This was one estate agent's description:
- "The 14.7-acre estate is meticulously landscaped with countless trees, formal lawns, lawned gardens, a tennis court, and even a private pond. It’s known locally as Beaufield and the original home dates back to c1640 with many additions in more recent years. The interiors of the home include over 15,000 square feet with a nice mix of classic and modern design with a very formal entry hall leading to large entertaining reception rooms, while the hub of the home includes a kitchen, breakfast room, and family room set in a 72-foot long space with windows that look out over the open countryside and doors leading to the extensive terrace.
- "Upstairs the accommodation include a 47-foot games room with snooker table and fully equipped bar at one end, and lounge area at the other. In addition there is a fabulous 2,659 square foot Art Deco style leisure complex comprising indoor swimming, sauna and steam room, male and female changing and shower rooms, a massage/ treatment room, Jacuzzi, dining area, relaxation area, gym and separate kitchen, specifically to serve the complex.
- "There are five bedroom suites including a superb master bedroom suite occupying an entire wing of the house, with commanding views and access to its own balcony.
- "Other features include a separate rear driveway for staff and deliveries, a four-bedroom detached house, a three-bedroom granite cottage, and a two-bedroom granite cottage. This property is easily one of Jersey’s most interesting offerings."
A comparison with Jersey Evening Post photographs on the Jersey Archive website suggests that this was definitely the property (then much smaller) which was owned by Lord Cromer in 1979. He was a banker and diplomat, and retired Governor of the Bank of England.
Notes and references