- Argilston House
- Argilston Guest House
Mont Nicolle, St Brelade
The property last changed hands in 2011, as a gift to the current owners
Type of property
Mid-19th century Jersey house, linked to a 17th century surviving wing. Alterations in 1930s
Families associated with the property
- Le Bas: 18th century, and probably 17th century, owners. The 1901 census shows farming brothers Nicholas John (1855- ) and Alfred Dumaresq (1862- ) Le Bas living here with their widowed mother Mary Ann (1828- ) and their sisters Emma Eliza (1850- ) and Lucille Marie (1860- )
Historic Environment Record entry
A well proportioned mid-19th century Jersey house, linked to an earlier house, farm buildings, outbuildings and fontaine.
Older wing at right angles has closet window and outside stairs on gable end. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Single storey wing on east side, reportedly incorporating parts of the earlier house. Former farm building forms wing to south. Bakehouse on the southwest and fountain downhill to the north.
1930s style link between house and farm building. Bakehouse has pantile roof. Well-head in garden. Bakehouse has two 19th century ovens, smaller one on left, bread oven (possibly rebuilt) on the right. Ships timber lintel over door.
Old Jersey Houses
The property was run as a guest house in the 1960s by Mr and Mrs A D Vibert. It was described in their advertising as:
- "Situated in one of Jersey's most beautiful valleys, near to the well known bays of St Aubin and St Brelade. Comfortably furnished throughout. H&C and interior sprung mattresses in all bedrooms. Separate tables. Homely, friendly atmosphere. Excellent food. Children welcome. Keys provided. Terms 25-28s per day."